Clare, Limpy, Aiki and Shane's Forumite meet up at Rainham Marshes.

Hi Folks.

I know it is not even a week ago since Aiki and I visited Rainham with GrahamC but today we had the chance to meet up with more forumites this time Clare and Limpy travelled down from Suffolk to visit Rainham Marshes and we decided to all meet up. Aiki and I arrived at opening time and went to the woodland area first in the hope of seeing the Lesser Whitethroat seen last week as well as a pair of Cuckoos known to be in the woodland. We hear the Cuckoos and did see the Lesser White Throat again, we milled around the woodland for a while to pass time as we knew Clare and Limpy were hoping to arrive around 11am we then headed to the Purfleet hide as it was the nearest to the visitors centre. There was plenty out on the Marsh which was alive with the sounds of Marsh frogs but also making a welcome appearance were some Whimbrels.

I then recieved a text saying they had arrived so Aiki and I headed to the cafe in the visitors centre and were greeted by two smiling faces belonging to Clare and Limpy,we all hit it of straight away so knew we were in for a good day. We went out on the reserve and headed back to Purfleet Hide and thanks to Aikis quick spot we were treated to a pair of Cuckoos flying and flirting together as they flew right in front of the hide and over to the woodland area. What a cracking start and certainly my best ever views of Cuckoos. We eventually all agreed to move on the the next hide and see what else was round and Limpy spotted a Water Vole almost straight away things were getting better, we were a bit disappointed though to find the the hide near the Kingfishers nest site closed at around 12.30 when it had been open from 11am to 3pm :-(

We saw plenty doing a nice slow leisurly circuit of the reserve including, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, Reed Buntings, Blackcaps, Cetti's (heard), Whitethroat, Lesser Whitehroat, Kestrel, Hobby, Whimbrel, Cuckoo, Marsh Harrier (2), Herons, Little Egrets, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Coots plus one with chicks, Mallard including a family with 7 chicks, Gadwall, Lapwings, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese a fly over by a Ross's Goose (correct me if im wrong aiki) plus all the usual I'm sure my forumite friends will add many more to this list.

Anyway heres a variety of photos from my wee camera, if cameras had feelings might have got a little depressed with the lenses it was up agains lol. 

Sedge Warbler

I think this was the Lesser Whitethroat.

Comma Butterfly

First Damselfly for this year mybe a Red Damsel I will leave Aiki to confirm or correct me.

Sedge Warbler.

Green Veined White

Tailess Magpie

Looking across the reserve towards the Purfleet Hide.

The Water Vole Limpy spotted.

Distant Cuckoo

Marsh Frogs check out the video to hear how loud they were.

Peacock Butterfly

Male Reed Bunting

Willow Warbler who impersonated a Chiffchaff, it would start off chiffinng then break into song.

Anyway that my bit I'm sure the others will add to this report of a really good day having made two new friends off the forum. 

• Superb set of photos and video clip Shane, looks like you had an amazing day and so interesting to see the various species and the strange sounding marsh frog, thanks for this great post,

• Thanks for doing the report, Shane. Great pics, and video of the laughing frog :) The damselfly was a Large Red btw. It was a lovely day, wonderful to meet Clare and Limpy, and plenty of wildlife to enjoy. Many of my photos are very similar to the ones Shane's already posted so I'll put up a few different ones.

Green-veined White (Shane, the one you posted was a Small White).

(Common) Whitethroats

Part of the small Whimbrel flock viewable from Purfleet hide

Swift - quite a good number of these over the reserve today (plus a lone House Martin).

Cuckoo - we had a few sightings including a great view of a pair chasing each other around, but this one was the closest. I think it's the same bird as in Shane's post.

This was a surprise - Ross's Goose, with two Greylags. I remembered one was reported in the autumn/winter, didn't realise it was still around. It is probably an escapee (the species is native to North America) but there's a small chance it's a proper wild vagrant.

Ickle baby Cootlet. All together now - awww!

Another damsel - Blue-tailed this time. Should have taken a bit more time on this shot, its bum is out of focus :(

And finally, a Dunnock, because the Cetti's Warbler wouldn't show :)

ETA - and finally finally, a paranoid-looking Reed Warbler, which had briefly forgotten to conceal itself behind an impenetrable wall of reeds :)

• Unknown said:

Time well spent I'd say.

Cheers MC and like you say, it was time well spent with good company.

• Unknown said:

Superb set of photos and video clip Shane, looks like you had an amazing day and so interesting to see the various species and the strange sounding marsh frog, thanks for this great post,

Thanks Hazel it was an amazing day for sure and those frogs could be heard all around the reserve.

• However am I to try to match the beautiful picture quality I'm seeing on here?   We had a great day as well - the company was excellent and the wildlife varied!  What could be better?

Oh, some photos?   Here we are:

My first ever cuckoos!

Crows keeping an eye on proceedings!

I've always encouraged Limpy to find a suitable hobby........!

A hovering kestrel

Marsh Harrier

A stunning peacock butterfly

A not quite so stunning brown rat!

Especially for Monkeycheese, this delightful robin!

Getting in a tangle looking for nesting materials!

• Unknown said:

Well done Shane cracking photos and that video made me chuckle i wonder what he was saying to you lol.

It's always good to hear about forumites meeting up and getting on.

Cheers Alan glad you enjoyed the photos, The frog in the was answering another frog who got closer andcloser and then eventually backed off, and you right about the enjoyment of meeting up and putting faces to names.

• Thanks for your report and photos Aiki, that Cuckoo is great capture as was the Ross's Goose one day I will get my Butterflies correct lol.

• Great pics, Clare :) Really glad you enjoyed the day.

• Nice ones Clare, thanks again to you and Limpy for driving so far to join us.