Kingfisher made my wifes day.

Just had to mention the Kingfisher that made my wife's day today during our visit, we had driven up from the Surrey/Sussex border for a walk around with the hope of spotting the Kingfisher looking for nest holes at the Discovery Zone. On the way up it had been raining and at one stage we were considering giving it a miss and turning around but we were both glad we stuck with our plan. On arrival Brenda told us that the hide near the possible nest site would not open until 11am so we decided to go around anti-clockwise to arrive at the hide at said time.

From the Woodland/Cordite area onwards the place was alive with bird song along with plenty to see including numerous Blackcaps and a lovely Willow Warbler who had no intention of letting me get a photo. We heard the first Cetti's Warbler as we approached the feeder area and heard a further 4 by time we had reached Wellington Marshes that is the most I have ever heard in any of my visits. Also present on sound but not in site were Reed Warblers right around the reserve all the bird song made it feel like winter was over at last even if the wind was still a little chilly.

We arrived at the Discovery Zone just as one of the reserves members of staff was opening it and he asked if we had heard about the Kingfishers and we said yes it was one of the reasons for the visit today. He went on to explain there had been a male checking out the holes in the bank and had been witnessed burrowing them out so we were hopeful of seeing them. My wife has only ever seen Kingfishers from a distance and usually flying away from us, so she was quite excited at the possibility of seeing one close by. As we waited I could my throat getting dryer after being out in the breeze and I had to do a stifled cough, just as i finished coughing in flew a Kingfisher and it landed on the Metal Dragonfly ar a twig going through it right in front of a couple of burrows. I pointed it out to my wife and the RSPB gentleman and then alas it flew off after all to a short stay, we stayed in the hide for a while longer and along with others were treated to some Yellow Wagtails, several Little Egret, 3 Redshank 2 of whom got down to ensuring they would be the pitter patter of little Redshank to come, Lapwings and 3 Dunlin in summer plumage. 

Here's hoping the Kingfishers decide to nest in the bank and if so well done all the staff at the reserve in everything they have done to give the birds a chance of nesting with absolute minimal chance of disturbance from onlookers.  

Thanks all.

Shane & Karen