A great day out - Wheatear, Merlin and two very special visitors!

Last Wednesday was 'one of those days' as far as birding goes - walking from the visitors' centre to the first screen I saw the silhouette of a bird in a shrub on my left which turned out to be a Wheatear. This was tucked away in the bush but helped me out by flying to the screen where I was able to get some proper shots

I walked around the corner and down the central path towards the second set of screens. Beyond the left hand screens I saw the shape of a raptor in a Willow tree and I took this distant shot. When I attempted to get closer (thought I could hide behind the screen) it flew off. Anyway this was later confirmed as a Merlin. Kerching! This was only my second sighting of one and certainly the first I have been close enough to photograph even if only a 'record shot".

Just a few minutes later I saw the Marsh Harrier down by the power station but this didn't come close enough to get a decent shot either!

I headed down to the hide but there was not a lot on the lagoon. Distant Tufties, Little Grebe, Gadwal but no sign of the Bittern spotted here on the previous  Saturday, so I had a look in the copse. Some beautiful Narcissi making it feel like Spring.

On the way back I saw some Beardies but only managed this quick record shot.

I left Uskmouth shortly afterwards and headed down to Goldcliff. There were a few waders by the first hide - and from the second screen I took a few shots of some of the numerous waders down there. First some Godwits - as always a great distance away down there but nevertheless the stunning breeding plumage can be seen. I think Black Tailed but I'm perfectly happy if somebody corrects me and helps me to improve my identification skills.

Then some photos of the many Avocets that have returned this year, 50+!

I've got loads of photos of the Avocet but I don't want to overdo it! Any way after spending a little time watching from the second hide I headed towards the sea wall (hoping to see more Wheatear) No luck there. I took a snap of Goldcliff Point. 

Distant Greenshank? by the shoreline but at low tide that is far from the wall so only record shots again!

Right below the sea wall there was a pair of Greylag Geese with a farmyard interloper.

On the slope by the sea-wall lagoon Canada Geese Grazing.

Once in the sea-wall hide I met a birder with a scope who told me that he had very good views of a Great White Egret down by the first hide. Apparently it was near a Little Egret and the size difference was clear. I was disappointed, because although I've met several people who've seen one I always seem to miss it! Then he spotted two Cranes on the far side of the reserve. Any one in the first hide would have had a cracking view: as it was they were half a mile away from us but regardless a pair of CRANES! Although blurry and indistinct I managed to grab some images and video. 

They are on the left in this shot.

Enlarged

After a while watching them feeding and moving around they took off - the flight shots turned out better than the rest.

After they has gone was the appearance of a Marsh Harrier being harried itself by plucky Lapwings!

So lucky to be close to a reserve full of a this variety of bird life.

• You saw some fantastic birds today!  Your wheatear photos are particularly beautiful.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks Clare, the Wheatears were the only close up shots I could get, they are a beautiful bird - the rest of the photos were too far away for anything more than record shots!

• What a great day you had, John. I particularly like the second shot of the Wheatear where you have caught the glint in his eye. The Avocets are pretty stunning too.

I've seen your Merlin shot on another thread but rather special. I'd be happy to get any sort of shot of one.

Well done with the Cranes. It would be nice to think they might become established in the Newport Wetlands as well as other areas in the west and south west.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• That was quite a day out, John. A great set of photos and it looks like you had sunny weather too. May every visit bring such variety.

• Nice series and narration John, stunning Wheatear. I often think how lucky we are to be close to such a facility.

• Many thanks Tony and Colin! The joy of this hobby is that we never know what is going to turn up and of course it's amazing when we see something special.

Tony if only! There's plenty of designated people-free marshland around the Wetlands for birds to breed and a pair of Cranes has been seen here a few times, although not anywhere near the hides before. I couldn't get a good enough photo to see the leg rings properly because if you go on that Great Crane Project website everyone is named and linked to particular colour combinations - so it would be possible to check if it's the same pair. I'd say it is more likely than not that they will breed before too long. Interestingly  not everybody is as enthusiastic, I was talking to a guy who is very involved in birding in this area and he said 'As a scientist I'm not convinced. Money would be better spent on  improving conditions for existing native birds rather than the Crane and Bustard re-introduction programmes, plus we don't have the infrastructure to support the number of people that would turn up. parking is very restricted' (it is but only if you don't mind a walk!) I'm sure there are far more people who would take a positive view.

• Cheers David! Couldn't agree more about our good fortune. It never ceases to amaze me what wonders we see!

• Evening John,  what a terrific day you had with an incredible variety of birds including some extraordinary species.   Love the beautiful Wheatear and congrats on spotting and videoing the Cranes.   Hard to choose a favourite so I'll say all of them lol.  Nice to see the Avocets heading back in and are on the increase at Burton Mere.    Goldcliff Point looks a lovely place.  Thanks for sharing and well done again.

Regards, Hazel 

• John, Thanks for the lovely photos and trip report.  I have yet to see a Merlin.  The Cranes are wonderful and I do hope they breed there soon. There is something so moving in their call when flying--very ancient and truly a call of the wild.  Love the Wheatear, too.

Kind regards, Ann

• At last I can post a reply to thank you Hazel and Ann - I tried the next day but of course we've been locked out. Hopefully back to normal now! I haven't seen the Cranes again but I can confirm that they are the same pair that have been seen over here previously and that they are called 'Gibble' and 'Lofty'.

They can be seen here: http://www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk/cranes/meet-the-cranes