A great day out - Wheatear, Merlin and two very special visitors!

Last Wednesday was 'one of those days' as far as birding goes - walking from the visitors' centre to the first screen I saw the silhouette of a bird in a shrub on my left which turned out to be a Wheatear. This was tucked away in the bush but helped me out by flying to the screen where I was able to get some proper shots

I walked around the corner and down the central path towards the second set of screens. Beyond the left hand screens I saw the shape of a raptor in a Willow tree and I took this distant shot. When I attempted to get closer (thought I could hide behind the screen) it flew off. Anyway this was later confirmed as a Merlin. Kerching! This was only my second sighting of one and certainly the first I have been close enough to photograph even if only a 'record shot".

Just a few minutes later I saw the Marsh Harrier down by the power station but this didn't come close enough to get a decent shot either!

I headed down to the hide but there was not a lot on the lagoon. Distant Tufties, Little Grebe, Gadwal but no sign of the Bittern spotted here on the previous  Saturday, so I had a look in the copse. Some beautiful Narcissi making it feel like Spring.

On the way back I saw some Beardies but only managed this quick record shot.

I left Uskmouth shortly afterwards and headed down to Goldcliff. There were a few waders by the first hide - and from the second screen I took a few shots of some of the numerous waders down there. First some Godwits - as always a great distance away down there but nevertheless the stunning breeding plumage can be seen. I think Black Tailed but I'm perfectly happy if somebody corrects me and helps me to improve my identification skills.

Then some photos of the many Avocets that have returned this year, 50+!

I've got loads of photos of the Avocet but I don't want to overdo it! Any way after spending a little time watching from the second hide I headed towards the sea wall (hoping to see more Wheatear) No luck there. I took a snap of Goldcliff Point. 

Distant Greenshank? by the shoreline but at low tide that is far from the wall so only record shots again!

Right below the sea wall there was a pair of Greylag Geese with a farmyard interloper.

On the slope by the sea-wall lagoon Canada Geese Grazing.

Once in the sea-wall hide I met a birder with a scope who told me that he had very good views of a Great White Egret down by the first hide. Apparently it was near a Little Egret and the size difference was clear. I was disappointed, because although I've met several people who've seen one I always seem to miss it! Then he spotted two Cranes on the far side of the reserve. Any one in the first hide would have had a cracking view: as it was they were half a mile away from us but regardless a pair of CRANES! Although blurry and indistinct I managed to grab some images and video. 

They are on the left in this shot.

Enlarged

After a while watching them feeding and moving around they took off - the flight shots turned out better than the rest.

After they has gone was the appearance of a Marsh Harrier being harried itself by plucky Lapwings!

So lucky to be close to a reserve full of a this variety of bird life.

• john_l_uk said:
    I was talking to a guy who is very involved in birding in this area and he said 'As a scientist I'm not convinced. Money would be better spent on  improving conditions for existing native birds rather than the Crane and Bustard re-introduction programmes, plus we don't have the infrastructure to support the number of people that would turn up. parking is very restricted'

I've heard this view expressed too, John. It is true that they are not an endangered species as they are quite widespread in mainland Europe. My feeling is that they were once here and it is only man who made them practically extinct in this country. I think giving them a helping hand to recolonise suitable areas is no bad thing. You could possibly also argue that by creating suitable habitat other birds and animals are also benefiting. Whether we shall ever see flocks like this which winter in Exremadura I rather doubt but one can dream.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I am not convinced that "a great number" of people would turn up just to see the Cranes, there may be a few but I would guess that not that many go to Slimbridge or Somerset Levels just to see the Cranes.

• Thanks for the comments Tony and David. I have to say I also take a far more favourable point of view than the person I mentioned but recorded it from the point of view of balance. Tony you are completely on the money - we brought about their extinction and we owe it to posterity to try to redress the balance.  Fab-u-lus photo  - I can't see any reason why we can't get a viable breeding population in Britain that will spread like the amazingly successful Red Kite population is doing and make such sights if not common then at least possible.

• Spending money on suitable habitat for Cranes is worth while on principle alone (I agree TJ and John--people made them extinct here and we are now bringing them back), as well as for the Cranes themselves, obviously, and for other wildlife and for those people who love seeing Cranes and other wildlife.  We owe it to future generations as an enrichment to their lives.

Kind regards, Ann

• Great thread JL, full of interest as usual & am very into Cranes myself, have been following the Crane project here plus the Whooping Cranes in Wisconsin with the amazing microlite assisted migration to Florida ... dedicated peeps on both sides of the Atlantic!

As you have so much material on Avocets, may we hope for another of your great 'educational' vids dedicated to this very pretty wader??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, Sorry for the very late reply and thank you for your kind comments!  - I haven't logged on here for a while - I guess the RSPB forums website 'downtime; destroyed my equilibrium.

I hadn't heard of the Whooping Cranes project - sounds interesting although they don't seem to have made a breakthrough yet. I'm guessing the range of predators over there. is at the heart of the problem. wolverines, bears, wolves, Bald Eagles etc.

You are right about me having a fair bit of footage of the Avocets, all from some distance away here! - the telephoto compensates to some extent and I have probably got enough for a video. Something I have noticed is that they seem to love the shallow salt-water lagoons, which are slightly sheltered form the worst of the Westerlies by the sea-wall. I don't ever seem to see them on the shore line with the Curlews, Oystercatchers, Dunlin etc. although maybe I've been simply looking in the wrong place!