Farewell Newport wetlands

I cannot see me ever visiting Newport Wetlands Uskmouth again, partly due to health issues but mostly due to corporate greed 

This is mainly due to the imposition of charges for non RSPB members to use the Public carpark at the Newport Wetlands NNR and also have to visit the RSPB Visitor centre (and of course it's shop & Cafe), to leave the site. This is in my opinion to increase footfall in the centre which has dropped in usefulness to visitors over the years of it's existence 

The car park was in place for years before the RSPB even thought of the Centre, indeed it was constructed with the opening of the Uskmouth site.

Also remember that the Newport wetlands site in its entirety was purchased by the Cardiff Bay Development corporation and gifted to the people of Wales in reparation for the loss of three SSSI in the Cardiff Bay development, so the whole site does not belong to the RSPB but to the Welsh people.

Health permitting I may visit other Sites that are actually owned by the RSPB, although by RSPB membership will likely not be renewed due to this act 

At least they do not control The Goldcliff Lagoons which are so much better for wildlife 

Best regards
Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58

• Have you tried talking to the team on site Nigel?

• In reply to Paul F:

I can see where you are coming from, Nigel. Sounds like your mind is made up, but I just wanted to give my thoughts.

The RSPB is a charity and will lose a significant revenue stream. The 'yes' campaign will not achieve what RSPB hopes, so a significant shortfall in income that had come in over previous years needs to be made up. This won't be the official reason provided by RSPB. However, whether it is or isn’t, that loss has to be made up from somewhere. Car parking seems a viable option. What do you suggest instead?

• In reply to Robbo:

I agree with the RSPB charging non-members either an individual charge or a car park fee at RSPB reserves. The National Trust have a car park fee at most of there open space property’s and there car parks for non-members cost a lot more. Simple way to avoid paying the car park fee, is to join the RSPB as a member. The RSPB has to raise money somehow and this is a very good way.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

I wish Minsmere charged a fee for their car park.  We're the only free car park in the vicinity and I'm heartily sick to death of people turning up for a day on the beach, expecting to use the North Wall path for their convenience.  It's high time people learned to respect areas set aside for wildlife instead of expecting something for nothing.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

I’m pleased that the RSPB have started in 2018 to start having a car park fee at more reserves, where there are no visitor centres or reception huts, just as at Snettisham which is a very popular reserve and I think that the pay and display car park fee at Snettisham from this year is £2.00 per car for non-members of the RSPB.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to Clare:

THe car park at Newport wetlands is not RSPB property why should anyone pay them to use it.they just assume it belongs to them  The car park was there before the RSPB,and it led onto the reserve,the part where the wild life lives.(I first used it in 2000 though was a visitor to he area from the 1960s.

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58

• In reply to barman58:

If your so concerned why don’t you asked the authority’s at that reserve why there is a charge. Although I see your an RSPB member, so the car park charge doesn't affect you.

Regards,

Ian.

• barman58 said:

Also remember that the Newport wetlands site in its entirety was purchased by the Cardiff Bay Development corporation and gifted to the people of Wales in reparation for the loss of three SSSI in the Cardiff Bay development, so the whole site does not belong to the RSPB but to the Welsh people.

So, you think that Welsh taxpayers should pay for the staff, upkeep and ongoing costs based on that?