Highlights from a day around Minsmere.

Another early start at Minsmere, about 6.15am.

Near the visitor centre going through the woods, a Wren, collecting nesting material and heading for a nest box with it. The light was gloomy and Auto ISO gave me 40000 ISO, but the images are plenty good enough to tell the story.

j

At island Mere, something I've never seen before, a Marsh Harrier fishing. The images are quite poor because of the distance involved and auto-focus not picking up the bird straight off, but the images again tell the story. 

Unfortunately for the Harrier no fish for breakfast this time.

A different bird with wing tag.

Reed Warblers were flitting from cover to cover all the time but finally one popped up and stayed in the open to feed.

Down in the Dunes this Wren stayed sitting like this for some minutes.

Singing Whitethroat.

Then off away.

At East Hide, one of a pair of Little Terns just in range of the camera.

At the Public Viewing Hide there were many summer coloured Black-tailed Godwits in the distance, this one came on a solo venture much closer the the hide.

Overhead Common Terns were making regular trips out to sea and back, I never managed to get a returner with a fish.

By the fence in front off the Public Hide a Sedge Warbler was giving it everything.

On the way back to the Visitor Centre, a stop off at Digger Alley. Many thanks to Mr and Mrs Whistling Joe for their informed insight into what was going on and to WJ for the chance of a knowledgeable chat about camera gear and how to get the best out of it.

A Green-eyed Flower Bee, sadly now an ant's banquet.

A Sand Wasp in pollenating mode.

Then being observed by an unknown Bee..

Finally a Common Lizard ran across the path and gave me one brief chance of a photo before disappearing.

Altogether a very good, and fortunately not too a hot day out, and thanks again Mr and Mrs WJ.

Best Wishes,

Trevor.

Parents
  • Good to see you had a great variety of subjects!

Interestingly, that Wren isn't using a bird-box - it's using a bat-box! Mind you, I saw a Bluetit do exactly the same thing last year so obviously the birds have now appropriated that box :-)

Your "Unknown Bee" watching the Sand Wasp is actually another wasp - Oxybelus uniglumis (the one we call Fly-stabber due to its habit of impaling the fly on its sting). Here it is digging a hole, spraying sand out the back

Good to see the Tiger Beetle too - we saw loads on Hoy a couple of weeks ago when we were on holiday - like this one. Amazing little creatures!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Many thanks WJ, I'll probably remember to call the little Wasp a Fly-stabber Wasp, possibly not the Latin name.
    Love your shot of the Tiger Beetle with so much detail, I assume it was taken with a macro lens with you down at it's level?
    I had noticed the Bat Boxes whilst walking through the woods before and wondered whether they were for something other than birds.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    I assume it was taken with a macro lens with you down at it's level?

Yes - this was a stacked macro shot with a very patient insect!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• My OM1 has focus stacking, not tried it out yet. Supposedly it can be used hand held as well, I'll have to try using it if I can find a cooperative subject, the extra depth of focus makes your Tiger Beetle shot really stand out.
    Trevor
Reply Children
No Data