A few from a sunny Minsmere.

It was a beautiful afternoon on Wednesday so Limpy and I decided to spend a few hours at Minsmere.  It was a bit on the quiet side bird-wise but the same couldn't be said of the insect life:

Speckled wood butterfly

Four spotted chaser dragonfly

A pair of common blue damselflies in flagrante delicto!

I love common terns.  This one was hovering near the Wildlife Lookout.

Another common tern, from the South Hide.  Love the attitude!

An avocet coming in to land.

Finishing with a black-headed gull overlooking the South Scrape.  Sadly, there were fewer of these on the Scrape than usual, with fewer chicks - but on the plus side, I'm told there are more avocet chicks around.

Hope you enjoy these.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

Parents
  • Thanks, Wendy. I wonder if your gull has a family in the vicinity? Herring gulls will turn up in all sorts of places looking for food - I can still remember the one who regularly helped itself to crisps from a local shop, and another who ended up in a vat of curry sauce and had to be rescued (and washed!).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks, Wendy. I wonder if your gull has a family in the vicinity? Herring gulls will turn up in all sorts of places looking for food - I can still remember the one who regularly helped itself to crisps from a local shop, and another who ended up in a vat of curry sauce and had to be rescued (and washed!).

Children