Air Traffic Control

It's that time of year once more when Mrs WJ and I are required to man Air Traffic Control along Digger Alley, home to more species of Digger Wasps and Mining Bees than you can imagine.  It all starts with the Beewolf of course, the ever popular insect that hunts honey bees - though this one is simply guarding her burrow from interlopers

Male Beewolves don't hide away, they have a Lek - pheromone based believe it or not - so the nicest smelling chap gets the girl!

Also guarding their burrow you can find Pantaloon Bees - similar lifestyle to the Beewolf, but being a Bee they lay an egg on a ball of pollen instead

Jewel wasps sneak in and out of burrows if you don't guard them

and even the parasitic Bee equivalent - the Pointy Bum Bee - is on the lookout for unwilling hosts.  They normally seek out Leafcutter bees, so not sure why this one's searching the burrows...

The other regular Digger Wasp is the Weevil Wolf of course - though sometimes their eyes are bigger than their burrow - as in this case, the weevil having to be abandoned at the entrance

Strange new visitors appear - not too sure exactly what species these two are yet

Though I suspect the latter is a member of the Pompilidae family at least.

Shield Bugs drop in occasionally to see what's happening

Though to be honest, we keep coming back to the Beewolf.  Not sure why, I guess they're just charismatic little characters :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index