Digger Alley - Updated

They seem to be earlier than ever, but it's time once again to get down to Digger Alley at Minsmere.  This is the stretch of path between the pond and North wall that's home to all sorts of Digger Wasps & bees.  The original stars of the show of course are the Beewolves, though they've obviously not perfected their technique yet and are getting a bit messy!

A swift wash and brush up soon sorts things out though

Most of the activity this early on hasn't actually been with the Beewolves though, it's been the Weevil Wolves (ok, so that's not an official common name - they don't have one, but Cerceris Arenaria doesn't really roll off the tongue, so down Digger Alley, they're Weevil Wolves!).

They have a similar lifecycle to the Beewolves, but lay eggs on weevils instead of bees

We've even seen them mating for the first time.  Though it has to be said there appears to be three wasps here.  Ahem, well, whatever rocks your boat!

Sand Wasps too have been very active, there certainly seem to be more about this year than last

They do seem to like these exceptionally juicy morsels for their burrows - they fill the hole in after burying them with small stones & bits of vegetation

Every now and again however, they'll stop what they're doing and flop on the ground with their legs in the air.  I don't have a clue what they're up to, but can only assume their tootsies are hot!

I've not even worked out what this one is yet - it's obviously catching some sort of small bee, though cannot tell what at this stage.  Hopefully not the Green Eyed Flower Bee that zips about!

Finally there's this brightly coloured Jewel Wasp - it sneaks into every body else's burrows to lay its eggs on whatever it finds

We haven't even touched on the bees yet.  Ah well, this year's bee pics so far aren't very good, so I'll see what this weekend brings :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Fantastic shots and a really interesting post.

My bird photos HERE

• Great photo Mr WJ. I don't think I'll put my beewolf photos on lol.

My Flickr. Photos link HERE

• nickbarn said:

Great photo Mr WJ. I don't think I'll put my beewolf photos on lol.

Lol!  Don't worry Nick, I'll admit between you, me & the gatepost, these beasties aren't the easiest to get pictures of and you do end up with a lot of binned shots (of course, if asked, I'll swear to at least a 90% keeper rate. Honest! :-)).
    I think that unidentified wasp may be Oxybelus Uniglumis.  They normally take flies (this prey looks more bee like to me, but it's hardly the best angle to be positive!), but BWARS suggests impaling the prey on the sting (as appears to be the case here) is unusual, so I'm going to go with that as a tentative ID for now

___

• Very nice WJ.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Paul A said:

Fantastic shots and a really interesting post.

They really are the most fascinating subjects to watch.  Mrs WJ and I have been watching the insects along this bit of path for a few years now and each year we see things we haven't before.  This year it's Weevil Wolves mating and leg waving sand wasps - and last weekend was the first opportunity since last summer to observe them.  So who knows what else we'll see in coming weeks.  I actually invested in a second macro lens a few weeks ago especially so Mrs WJ and I didn't have to share one when these guys appeared.  And that was excellent until AF packed up on it halfway through Sunday <sigh>  Ah well, at least the 100-400 is great for insects as well!

___