A fresh Spring day on the West Scrape.

There was a distinctly fresh nip in the wind at Minsmere yesterday, even though it was still a lovely day.  I took myself off to the Wildlife Lookout to see what was about - happily, there was plenty:

I had barely sat down before the gentleman on my right pointed out this curlew!  One of the things I love most about Minsmere is the friendliness of the other visitors, and the relentless willingness to point things out which might otherwise be missed.

'Oy!  Give me space - and try to remember that your beak points upwards!!'

'That's better'

There were two little egrets about and they didn't like each other very much as they were chasing each other off!

I managed to catch one of them standing still.  It didn't last long.

A subtle honking told me that geese were incoming - I just got the camera around in time to catch these greylags.

A beautiful grey heron flies over.

The whole heron family are so graceful and elegant in flight.

'Ready, lads?'

'Scarper!'

Two colourful shelducks.

I must thank the knowledgeable couple off to my right for this - they guided me right to the Mediterranean gulls.  It's the first time I've seen these, knowing what I was looking at!

'What's so interesting about him?' shouts the black-headed gull.

A black-tailed godwit forages contentedly as the avocets flaunt their fluffy white backsides behind it.

This black-headed gull shouts at the mallard as the avocet innocently potters behind them.

I tried, and failed, to get this lapwing in flight.  It's still a lovely looking bird on the ground, though.

I love the gleaming green head of this male mallard.

I was just about to leave the hide when this gadwall pair appeared.  They just had to be snapped!

A cheeky blue tit catches my attention near the Visitor Centre.

Ian would never forgive me if I didn't share the gorgeous colours of this magpie with everyone.

It's certainly one of our most striking feeder birds!

I hope you all enjoy these, as always.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good to see the Avocets are returning, such lovely looking waders.    I agree the Magpie colours are beautiful and well done finding the Med Gulls.  

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm quite spoilt when it comes to avocets.  They spend half the year at Minsmere - and there's a wintering population upriver from Felixstowe Ferry.  Lovely.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.