Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Too)

I'm disappointed to have to tell you that the problems with bad behaviour at Island Mere are getting worse.  Up to now, it seems to have been predominantly the males causing trouble, but it would seem the girls are getting in on the act as well (at least, I think this is a female, not always easy to tell with Bitterns!).

It all started with some whispering in the reeds.  It sounded suspiciously like children egging on a classmate to throw something at the teacher - but before we knew what was happening, out pops....

There was definitely some giggling as the Bittern paraded up and down in front of the hide, showing off the big feet

and the fishing prowess.  Actually, we weren't particularly impressed with the size of fish, but were huffily informed by our subject that tiddlers were harder to catch and demonstrated better eye-beak co-ordination.  Hey!  How can I argue, I'm just a human!

At this point, a definitely impish glint appeared in the eye as our nemesis kept strolling backwards & forwards, getting ever closer

I now think I've worked it out - there's a big money prize awaiting the first Bittern to get a photographer to fall out of the window in their excitement.  As soon as I realised that, I refused to take any more pictures.  Defeated for the day, Mrs WJ got one last picture as the Bittern slunk off, vowing to return another day.....

Pesky, Pesky Bitterns :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

Parents
  • Oh my goodness !!    Wow.. wow and  errrrm ..........totally speechless at these amazing images of the Bittern.  Never seen such beautifully clear shots, out in the open for all to see and gotta love those green stockings or should that be shockings !    Very well done WJ,  thanks for sharing these wonderful photos so thanks :)    

Regards, Hazel 

• It may be a little difficult to tell girls from boys at this time of year as the electric blue base to the bill that is diagnostic of the males in the breeding season may not have developed yet. Perhaps an RSPB staffer may wish to comment.

• Unknown said:
    It may be a little difficult to tell girls from boys at this time of year as the electric blue base to the bill that is diagnostic of the males in the breeding season may not have developed yet

Agreed, hence my caution :-)  Though seeing them as often as we do, you get a bit of a feel and with many you can see a hint of the blue, missing on this bird.  It also seemed a bit smaller and as I understand it, the males tend to be a little bigger, with a bit more bulk for booming.  It is, of course, typical of the Bittern to be so difficult to pin down :-)

___

• Fantastic shots, as always!

I'm trying to picture the Bank of Bittern where the prize money will be waiting - and what the winner would spend it on!  They obviously don't need to buy fish.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Gorgeous pics again, WJ and Mrs WJ!  So glad that the retraining of Minsmere's Bitterns regarding their neglect of traditional Bittern shyness is failing!

Kind regards, Ann

• What a bird, what fabulous photos, thanks WJ.

Lot to learn

• Wow! It kept the best for after my holiday! Lovely shots. Off to Old Moor RSPB on Friday on a bittern hunt.

• Unknown said:

Gorgeous pics again, WJ and Mrs WJ!  So glad that the retraining of Minsmere's Bitterns regarding their neglect of traditional Bittern shyness is failing!

I just feel sorry for Ian, all that effort to arrange the lectures, refresh the training.... and they've obviously ignored him completely <sigh>

Unknown said:

Wow! It kept the best for after my holiday! Lovely shots. Off to Old Moor RSPB on Friday on a bittern hunt.

Good luck finding them at Old Moor, hope they're as friendly as Minsmere's :-)
    One of the regular visitors was underneath Island Mere whilst all this was going on, but unfortunately he'd come out without a wide-angle lens.....

___

• You dont often say that about a bittern!

• Sorry WJ. They've obviously heard that we're going to be talking a lot about avocets this year and want to make sure they don't miss out on the action. Also, I think they may have mis-understood the memo to our guides about helping visitor to spot bitterns and have taken it upon themselves to action it properly. Perhaps we need to train the adders better after their failure to perform for Mrs WJ at the weekend!

• Sorry WJ. They've obviously heard that we're going to be talking a lot about avocets this year and want to make sure they don't miss out on the action. Also, I think they may have mis-understood the memo to our guides about helping visitor to spot bitterns and have taken it upon themselves to action it properly. Perhaps we need to train the adders better after their failure to perform for Mrs WJ at the weekend!

Children
    No Data