Island Mere Hide

I was at Minsmere yesterday,a lovely mild, sunny, still day. I saw the otter and a bittern, two firsts for me, an amazing day.
  • Minsmere is a fantastic reserve, Ruth--glad you had a great day!  What is next on your wish list?

Kind regards, Ann

• I saw Bittern from Island Mere this weekend too - in flight anyway.  With a bit of luck, now the reeds have been cut for the winter, we'll start to see them in front of the hide again :-)

Mind you, cut reeds also means the return of that ever frustrating hobby, Snipe counting!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Good morning, Ann, I feel greedy even having a wish list, after all I saw on Saturday but like everybody else, I do and I really want to see a Bearded Tit, they were pinging all over the place on Saturday but I couldn't see them. It was a perfect day, mild, sunny and still and seeing the Otter was amazing.

Yes, you are right, Minsmere is a fantastic reserve, well worth the two and a half hour drive.

Kind regards,

Ruth

• Good morning, Whistling Joe,I missed seeing Bittern flying, very disappointing but then we moved to the other end of the hide, where you can see the small open stretch of water and one swam from one side to the other, wonderful.

• HI Whistling Joe, Now the reeds have need cut I am going to have my first visit to Island Mere. I have been before because Mrs WJ said that the reeds will to high for me to see anything sitting in my wheelchair. Hope to see you at Minsmere one of these days?

My Flickr. Photos link HERE

• nickbarn said:

HI Whistling Joe, Now the reeds have need cut I am going to have my first visit to Island Mere. I have been before because Mrs WJ said that the reeds will to high for me to see anything sitting in my wheelchair. Hope to see you at Minsmere one of these days?

What a good thing I subscribed to this thread.  Our last visit last Wed we saw the reeds probably a few days before they were cut, even so we did see a Bittern poking its head out of the reeds at the far end of the water pool on the right.  Later it flew across.  I was delighted to read the reeds have now been cut so when I come this week there might be a chance of better views.  Yay!  I would put a photo of the Bittern I took but have no idea how to do that here.  Ohh I trieed something, - edit and it gives you the tabs to upload a pic.  So here it is, far away pretending to be a reed. Have fun :-)

Live simply, so others may simply live.