A bit quiet at the Wildlife Lookout........

........not.  After my stint on Reception yesterday afternoon I headed to the Wildlife Lookout as it offers a great view over the west Scrape without having to walk forever to get there.  There was nothing wildly unusual about but happily plenty of the usual suspects were about and looking good:

I'm pretty sure this is a common sandpiper.  It's not the best photo ever but I hope I've showed its beautiful markings.

Mr and Mrs Gadwall (I think!).

A crack squadron of greylag geese takes to the sky amid lots of racket!

Lapwings are so beautiful in the sunlight.

A lovely snipe pauses for a quick scoff.

This little egret had also hunted successfully.

A lurking grey heron.

The Greylag Display Duo putting on a great show!

Coming in to land in almost perfect synchronisation.

Another little egret advertises the Costa del Minsmere.  He's doing a great job, too.

The sun has gone in and the snipe attempts to hide in the shade.......not a chance, Snipey.

On my way back to the car park I couldn't resist this beautiful mute swan!

Enjoy, all.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

Parents
  • Looked a lovely day for you Clare and what great sightings and photo captures.   I love the Greylags coming in to land in double decker formation but can't choose a favourite as they are all good !  

Regards, Hazel 

• I agree that the sandpiper is a common; they have a "tick" of white going up the side towards the neck, which, in spite of the wing being held up, I think you can just see on this photo. Small waders are a mare, as I can confirm after misidentifying a curlew sandpiper which was in fact a juvenile Dunlin.

• I agree that the sandpiper is a common; they have a "tick" of white going up the side towards the neck, which, in spite of the wing being held up, I think you can just see on this photo. Small waders are a mare, as I can confirm after misidentifying a curlew sandpiper which was in fact a juvenile Dunlin.

Children
  • Thanks for that.  I have a long way to go before I'm remotely confident about identifying waders......ducks as well, for that matter.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.