Badger Fence.

I feel I must ask a question that I am sure many members and long time visitors have uttered but not broached. We were all shocked and saddened to see the Badger swim, climb and generally breach the defenses of the scrape during Spring Watch 2014. It did as a a predator does to survive...picked eggs and easy targets on the scrape.

As a result we have an ongoing and intrusive reworking of the scrape , the heart of Minsmere lovingly created by the hard work of those with such vision and passion.

I ask this...how long do we think the very soul of the reserve will take to regenerate? Will Springwatch cameras focus just once on the damage this work has impacted on the scrape and finally...

Would this invasive work have been carried out to potentially stop the natural predatory instinct of a lone Badger have taken place were it not for the ever watching cameras of Springwatch?

Respectfully yours

Secret Squirell.

Parents
  • I totally agree that ongoing work is a necessary job, keeping the Badgers from doing further damage is a priority, but I have to say, I am a little bit peeved to find the work ongoing on yesterday's first visit since last year, we completed the 70 mile round trip to find the reserve almost deserted, surely an alert could have been placed on the webpage to warn people/members that the work was ongoing, had that been the case, we. Could have diverted to another reserve instead of wasting almost a complete day.

• Many thanks for your feedback Graham W.

Firstly, I'm sure that you, like everyone else, will be pleased to hear that the work to replace the Scrape fence is almost complete.The contractors will be finished by the end of next week at the latest, ready for the breeding season. 

We have kept visitors informed of progress on the Scrape through regular blog posts - most recently when we updated on progress at the end of February - www.rspb.org.uk/.../mud-machines-fences-and-avocets-an-update-from-the-scrape.aspx to say that work was ongoing through March. We've also mentioned the work in most of our recent sightings posts, alongside mentioning the variety of wildlife is still present.

Our reception team should also have informed you that work was ongoing on the Scrape, and told you which parts of the Scrape were most likely to be disturbed - apologies if this didn't happen.

Most of the species of birds using the Scrape have become used to the presence of diggers and workmen and simply relocate to other parts of the Scrape. All of the expected species have been present on most days, though in smaller numbers than in other winters: wigeon, gadwall, teal, shoveler, pintail, greylag & Canada geese, avocet, lapwing, oystercatcher and redshank, as well as two redhead smew. Alternatively, many of them move to the South Levels to feed during the day. The Levels have been teeming with ducks and gulls, with a few waders and up to three spoonbills throughout the winter. To view the Levels only requires walking south along the dunes for about 200 metres, but many visitors don't add this extension onto their walk.

Also, on a site the size of Minsmere there are many options for watching wildlife. If the Scrape is quiet, then spending time in Island Mere or Bittern Hides should be productive. Bitterns are now booming, marsh harriers are nest building, otters and water rails are seen regularly, and flocks of tufted ducks, pochards and coots are present on the mere alongside displaying great crested grebes. The woods are alive with flocks of tits and finches, woodpeckers and redwings, and birdsong is increasing. We've also opened an adder watching trail this week, though it may have been a cool for many adders to be active yesterday. It's also worth exploring more distant parts of the reserve such as Westleton Heath (for Dartford warbler or woodlark) or heading south to North Warren for a bit more variety.

And, of course, a walk around Minsmere is always a great opportunity to experience some fresh air, stretch the legs, then refuel afterwards in the cafe, even if the wildlife is a bit quieter than expected.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Minsmere soon.

Ian

• Many thanks for your feedback Graham W.

Firstly, I'm sure that you, like everyone else, will be pleased to hear that the work to replace the Scrape fence is almost complete.The contractors will be finished by the end of next week at the latest, ready for the breeding season. 

We have kept visitors informed of progress on the Scrape through regular blog posts - most recently when we updated on progress at the end of February - www.rspb.org.uk/.../mud-machines-fences-and-avocets-an-update-from-the-scrape.aspx to say that work was ongoing through March. We've also mentioned the work in most of our recent sightings posts, alongside mentioning the variety of wildlife is still present.

Our reception team should also have informed you that work was ongoing on the Scrape, and told you which parts of the Scrape were most likely to be disturbed - apologies if this didn't happen.

Most of the species of birds using the Scrape have become used to the presence of diggers and workmen and simply relocate to other parts of the Scrape. All of the expected species have been present on most days, though in smaller numbers than in other winters: wigeon, gadwall, teal, shoveler, pintail, greylag & Canada geese, avocet, lapwing, oystercatcher and redshank, as well as two redhead smew. Alternatively, many of them move to the South Levels to feed during the day. The Levels have been teeming with ducks and gulls, with a few waders and up to three spoonbills throughout the winter. To view the Levels only requires walking south along the dunes for about 200 metres, but many visitors don't add this extension onto their walk.

Also, on a site the size of Minsmere there are many options for watching wildlife. If the Scrape is quiet, then spending time in Island Mere or Bittern Hides should be productive. Bitterns are now booming, marsh harriers are nest building, otters and water rails are seen regularly, and flocks of tufted ducks, pochards and coots are present on the mere alongside displaying great crested grebes. The woods are alive with flocks of tits and finches, woodpeckers and redwings, and birdsong is increasing. We've also opened an adder watching trail this week, though it may have been a cool for many adders to be active yesterday. It's also worth exploring more distant parts of the reserve such as Westleton Heath (for Dartford warbler or woodlark) or heading south to North Warren for a bit more variety.

And, of course, a walk around Minsmere is always a great opportunity to experience some fresh air, stretch the legs, then refuel afterwards in the cafe, even if the wildlife is a bit quieter than expected.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Minsmere soon.

Ian

Children
No Data