Windy day at Middleton

Friday 23 May .  Having volunteered to work with my local group at the Birdfair  I decided it might be a good idea to see the reserve for myself. The day was bright but very windy which probably made the birds keep a low profile but the list was okay for first visit. So in order of sighting.....robin, blackbird, song thrush, grey heron, house sparrow, swallow, house martin, sand martin, swift, black-headed gull, herring gull, lesser black-backed gull, moorhen, coot, mallard, cuckoo, magpie, carrion crow, rook, blackcap, chiffchaff, chaffinch, whitethroat, lesser whitethroat, garden warbler, willow warbler, common tern, sedge warbler, reed warbler, reed bunting, great crested grebe, goldfinch, redshank, lapwing, gadwall, shellduck, tufted duck, cormorant, canada goose, greylag goose, blue tit, mute swan, great tit, buzzard, oystercatcher, long-tailed tit, wren, stock dove, wood pigeon, linnet, jackdaw, bullfinch, collared dove.( and grasshopper warbler heard but not seen! )

I make that 53 seen and I know there are lots more and its going to be exciting to see what autumn & winter brings. My next visit is planned for next Saturday - cant wait.

"man is the only animal that blushes........or needs to"   Mark Twain.

tonyj

• Thanks for the post, Tony! I must say I'm quite pleased that grey heron was the fourth bird seen - they make great mascots, hey?

Have a good time on Saturday - fingers crossed for some calmer weather for you...

Alexis Johnson

:: Field Teacher @ Middleton Lakes & Sandwell Valley nature reserves ::