CR9 goes fishing at Loch of Kinnordy

April 19th 2024

As you've seen already, I head over to this reserve now and again, mostly weather driven but also because the direct route to there is closed at the moment, I tend to go elsewhere more often. This turned out to be a great visit for Ospreys, I think this was the day three of them turned up age various times.

CR9 is a bird whose ring I've been able to read and therefor is the only one I can ID.

So here's a set of shots of him or her fishing at the loch.

They kind of hover for short periods when they've seen something interesting then dive or turn away to continue the search.

I got some beautiful wing shapes in these shots and the low sun helped.

Typically, it dived beyond the reed beds from me so I missed that part of the action.

But when it popped up again with a catch, I was ready, for a change Laughing

AND, it flew almost directly at the Swamp Hide, heading for the nest no doubt.

Not a huge catch but they all count.

I have some later shots of the same bird with the biggest fish I've ever seen one carry.

So that was CR9 on one of my best visits to the loch, I'll add the rest later.

• Nice photos Scozmos, one of my favourites. It is a male, born 2013 at Dunecht Aberdeenshire

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Apologies  I saw your message come through on my phone and instantly forgot about it, an age thing Disappointed Smile. Thank you for that info. I saw it a few times, more photos to come and it always flew off SW ish from Kinnordy, towards the Alyth nest but it's not one of that pair. I'd love to know where it was nesting but, hopefully next year, maybe Glamis?

• Hi, I follow the osprey nests and have many with cameras downloaded, it is a job trying to keep up with them all! I look into them quickly but follow Loch Garten, being a favourite and the only centre I have been to, from home up North, it is my nearest. I have a UK Osprey app and that is where I found the info for CR9. Hopefully he will appear somewhere again.

• Thank you, mind if I ask what the app is and is it available for Android? I'm not far from the Alyth nest but, I've not gone down there yet, I followed it this year on Cam and probably will next year too, all being well. I se quite a few birds fishing up at Backwater reservoir but most I can't ID. 

• https://www.ukospreyinformation.com/

Here is a link Scozmos. I have it set on my desktop. I must have gotten it from someone on the Osprey posts, I was pretty sure it was available for anyone to access but wanted to make sure, did not want to get into trouble. A reply has now been sent to me via the Loch Garten osprey posts. It is a good site with lots of information.