Daily Update (LG Nest) Sunday, 21st August 2011

So the season extends by yet another day. One wonders if Bynack or Odin will fly away today. The only way to find out is to follow the thread.

There were 316 posts made yesterday.

How long will we have to wonder where Tore is? Is she in France? Is she heading for the sturgeon farm?

• Just checked and it looks like  Bynack may have  left. This morning he sat on the  tree  looking like he was contemplating his situation. He has to know EJ has gone because she always  brought the morning fish.  It must be a very confusing period for them when their parents,  who have  taken such good care of them,   now  suddenly vanish.  He had a huge fish last night so he should be OK. Safe journey and God Speed little one!

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Wide cam is back on the nest.  Presumably they cannot see any sign of ospreys now.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• And with that I'm signing off for today.  Good night everyone.  Safe journey our beautiful birds.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• OH, AGAIN, THANK YOU Moffer and Sheila  and Barbara

I've been out all day and when I  booted up and saw empty tree and empty nest  - I just quietly made the most of the last of the sunshine - we haven't had much this summer (have we Moffer)  and very reflectively, sat for  while in my sun lounger on the lawn soaking up the sun and reading Scotish Ospreys. I had so many tears in my eyes at times, I could scarcely read the words.

• ShielaFE - Ozwold from the Sky Hawk is from a nest in Nairn very close to where Roy lives. He bides near Forres. Roy has sat tagged 2 young Ospreys this season the one you mentioned from Nairn and another from Caithness. he was interested in caithness ospreys and wanted to tag up there this year. He may well hasve had a nest in mind. Roy will add these to the HWT web site soon once activity starts - he is very busy and does a marvellous job updating on all his tagged birds. Again what started as a difficult season with the poor weather we must once again give credit to Roy for all the birds flying around the UK (Scotland, Wales and England).

• Yes,  KEITH - all credit to Roy. He must be ready for a big chill out himself. Except, of course, as you say, all the computer work in regard to the tagged birds.

• Its difficult to say in words how gratefull I am to all who take the time to post pics and videos which have been truly marvellous this season.

Thank you Cirrus, Scylla, Moffer and everyone. There are tears in my eyes, but am happy for our wonderfull osprey family. Magnificent Odin and amazing Mum EJ. Tore and Bynack who we have watched from egg to fledging and are now undertaking the perilous journey to Africa. It has been a very successful season for LG again,and looking forward to tracking the chicks on GE. Wishing all Osprey chicks out there a safe migration.

• A resounding HEAR HEAR    M Lake - safe migration all

• Patily - Are you still around and not sure if anyone answered your query. The sat tag is held on by a harness. Roy fits the harness and stiches the closure with cotton. Over time the cotton will degrade and the harness will fall off. Beatrice has had her harness exactly three years now so we should see data from Rothes next season if all goes well. I asked Kenny who works with Roy (Tree Climbing) the expiry of the harness as I thought may be three years but he seems to think longer. Transmitters fail as has Morvens it has been on the blink for some time but she still carries it. It also appears Spey transmitter is on the blink or something has happened to him. If a transmitter still transmits but with no movement then something has happened to the bird (Bassenthwaite 11) but if it just goes dead it is possibly a transmitter problem or the bird is in trouble with no sunlight to charge the transmitter or possibly drowned.