Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• Hazel b said:

Well since 2009 the Loch Garten Group has hardly rated a mention and since the new system was started two years ago not one post has ever been worth a mention. That is in spite of the Loch Garten Group providing about 95  of the 100 longest thread in the forum.

See   threads

What about this well deserved award to Black Jaguar? 

• Unknown said:
    What about this well deserved award to Black Jaguar? 

Well that was not a post. The post on that were mostly written by other people who did not get a mention. What about all the people who went out to meet him and donated lots of money?  Were they not worth a mention?

• We appreciate what Tiger, Chloe, Scylla, Doggie and Monkeycheese contribute to the Community and to us you're all Brilliant Eggs!

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Limpy said:

We appreciate what Tiger, Chloe, Scylla, Doggie and Monkeycheese contribute to the Community and to us you're all Brilliant Eggs!

Here were my thoughts about 12 months ago

• Limpy said:

We appreciate what Tiger, Chloe, Scylla, Doggie and Monkeycheese contribute to the Community and to us you're all Brilliant Eggs!

Thank you for your sentiment Limpy although I have very considerable doubts about the merits of good egg awards.

• scylla said:

BADGIE, I really appreciate you trying to help, but the problem is that I am ignorant on file types and I have no idea how to access that box you've shown.  Are you on Windows XP?  I'm on 7.  Did you access the box from within WMP?  I can't find ANYTHING about settings in mine :'(

I think I found in Control Panel that my Windows Media Player "has all its defaults" - so why is the RSPB cam (as opposed to Carnyx, which I can't use at all any more because it requires clicking) using VLC? ?? ???

The reason I want to do this is to see if the cam will refresh any faster - I'm losing at least 7 seconds at the mo.

MIKE and CHLOE - THANKS!

Hi SCYLLA, don't know where you are up to with all this. I just discovered that since recently installing VLC, it has assumed control of my media files which WMP used to handle. eg A clip which had a '.AVI ' or '.MPEG' file type format now plays with VLC when double-clicked instead of WMP.

I'm on XP and WMP v.11. I opened WMP, selected 'Tools' then 'Options' then 'File Types' dialogue box. I then checked/ticked the 'Windows video file(avi) box and applied the setting. Now double-clicking that clip plays once more with WMP. I would have to do that procedure with WAV, MPEG to allow WMP to play those again. 

I don't know what to suggest about the RSPB cam affair as I'm not sure what's going on there. Could you remove the reference to 'mms://wms.carnyxlive.co.uk/abernethy' which is the stream info for the RSPB cam from VLC? Then use 'mms://wms.carnyxlive.co.uk/abernethy' in WMP instead?

I'd better stop here cos my head is banging now and you might not have a clue what I'm going on about ;-)

• Limpy said:

I'm shocked to see that neither you nor Chloe have ever received Good Egg awards, Tiger.

Limpy    The announcement that you have been waiting on.

• Some of us cannot get LS at Dyfi whilst others can.Yesterday I completely restarted my comp and got it back but when I went back later, it had gone again. I do not have it this morning Any suggestions as to what can be done please??????

• It sounds as if one server is down, patily (they have 2). That has happened a few times before, and this is the usual symptom. Al & Karen at the B&B couldn't get it last night either (I haven't actually tried since I've been here).

I'm sure Ems will get the elves onto it ASAP (if he hasn't already!)

• how weird! I have just made a post on Dyfi thread and subsequently have found I needed to sign in  !!