LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

• ok ok  - I really didn't know about all the hassles of messing about with wild life cams .  But why  should I ? everyone else is the expert here, especially you Scylla dear. The most I do is grab a snap via greenshot. Sigh. Anyway, I'n so glad you're back 'online' and thanks for this latest Chaffie that had the  misfortune to get the perch sticking out of its head.

02 October

It's dawned on me that I'm only doing these rather routine videos because, at last, I've mastered syncing the sound on the PTZ (famous last words!). 

Incidentally, a couple of days ago I thought my software was broken because everything seized up when I tried to extract sound - eventually I realised it was because there was no sound on the nest cam that day, and I upset 2 different softwares by asking them to find it.

This Buzzard (ID'd thanks to VALERIE on Chat) was only seen distantly, ultra-camouflaged when perched, I therefore ditched the video I spent hours on:

Incidentally #2 - despite your plea for a larger font in the typing panel, CATLADY, which I seconded at the time, nothing was done about it - I can hardly see for looking and have to correct even more typos and missing letters after posting.

Forgot to check the date - this is a recent video posted on LG Abernethy Facebook - I couldn't download it (forgot how I used to do it) so had to screen-capture it... illegally no doubt, so I've made it Unlisted - I know you'll think it's worth it cos it has sound:

SPECIAL LITTLE FACEBOOK VIDEO >>>

RN6 R4Y5law?feature=share

• Typical Scylla, nowt happened and like before we have been left in the dark with no further updates or help, nothing new there!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Honestly, yer all ORFUL!  Please watch the little video above, it's only a shortie, one of those repeaters, but you'll like it cos it's got sound which we don't normally hear.

Here are zoomed Chaffies from the 6th:

Aww, those poor Chaffies have been waiting for 2 days while I faffed 'n faffed with GSWs and ended up discarding them.

• SPECIAL LITTLE FACEBOOK VIDEO >>>

RN6 R4Y5law?feature=share

What a lovely sound, very special ... thanks Scylla Star2Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• What a big sound from a wee bird and a special one at that, thanks Scylla

Problems, problems!  Quote an online expert: "With their nasal hairs intact, first-year rooks look something like a crow/raven hybrid. Although bill shape is, I think, the best tell, one other field marker to look for are their notoriously shaggy “pants” (belly and leg feathers) in contrast to crows and ravens."

I've sent it off to our CLARE!

So I'm calling this a Rooven Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Also, I'm not sure whether the squitter sound came from the head or rear end - did it create the sound effect to show off?

EDIT - Clare responded with "young Rook" probably.

A bit later we had GSW - Chaffies and a Mistle Thrush were there too but not prominent enough.

08 October

Definitely Ravens.  It wasn't till towards the end that I realised I had to get sound:

A short clip of the "brace" ??? on the old nest tree:

.10 October

The Mistle Thrush has been around frequently but not posing nicely or zoomed upon - until this briefly - as usual it was bossing the little birds and kinda nestorising:

Snow out there - early afternoon view:

In the afternoon a GSW put on a great display on the nestcam lens but the sound had gone again - also, lots of pauses in the stream.  I keep forgetting to mention that that cam's been going down quite frequently.  Lots of little birdies too, but late afternoon it rained heavily.

11 October

It bucketed down overnight and into this morning.  Only a pair of Great Tits and Coal or Great Tit seen so far.

• You have been busy with tye videos and pictures, thanks Scylla, always keeping us up to date.