LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

• Simply lovely ''cameos'' of the chaffie Scylla. They look like book illustrations . Thank you so much. And the video with the Mistle Thrush again , just charming. I love its vocals and I think in all likelihood it was calling for its 2024 brood but love the way you  caught it eyeballing the Chaffie.

And, what a fabulous blue sky.

• Scylla, a question, please. I have a link for the UK Osprey information, on my tablet, that I must have found on an Osprey thread. We have a new poster, I was able to pass on information from that link, following a photo of an Osprey with a darvic ring. 

Can I pass that link onto them, I have searched some Osprey threads where there were lots of links, but can't find it?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Catlady said:
    link for the UK Osprey informatio

Here you go, CATLADY Hugging

UK Osprey Information

Not sure why I deemed it necessary to do screenshots - overkill?

EDIT - For a permanent record, I've added the link to the Osprey Chat & CAM LINKS OP - much good may it do us, as that thread sinks without trace every year Rofl

23 September

We've had Mistle Thrush, GSW, Jay and many, many littler birdies today - plus this unusual "visitor" (sorry it's misty, you shoulda seen the untreated version!) - I hope there are plans for a cam to be set up on it:

There have been several outages but the cams are OK at the mo.

25 September

There was a huge hole in its left cheek, thru which the grass on the nest could be seen - I've filled it in as best I can but don't put your magnifier on it Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Snow on that thar hill - it lessened on the 26th:

• Oh my goodness..  what  on earth  caused the hole. I'm really upset as how can the bird possible eat and swallow    !!!!!

Cirrus said:
    Oh my goodness..  what  on earth  caused the hole. I'm really upset as how can the bird possible eat and swallow    !!!!!

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, CIRRUS - but just in case you're serious, I'll remind you of the "fault" common to all WildlifeWindows' cams - they create "artifacts" in the picture, especially when birds are flying - I've often had to paint out detached primaries from the sky, for example.  In this instance, the cam created a see-thru hole in the tit's cheek!

Sadly, you've reminded me of the poor injured Mourning Dove who had a hole in its crop from which seeds emerged as fast as the birdie ate them - that was on the feeder in Akron Ohio, where guns abound CryAngry

27 September

Only the Mistle Thrush and a Chaffinch were zoomed on today:

This one on the nest zoomed itself:

• 29 September

Just to let y,'all know that my internet went down at around midnight last night and I've got to wait for Openreach to fix something outside, hopefully within the next few days.

At least I don't have to feel guilty for not producing anything Grimacing

• Hope you are up and running again soon Scylla, well, not literally! Joy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reconnected yesterday :)))

Mid-morning today - another Chaffie self-zoomed - I took out a detached bit of wing and the perch sticking out of its head: