LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you for all your great coverage Scylla and Sheila.Hugging

09:14 - Unringed Osprey preening on cam perch - the zoom was too late, but in any case it had its back to us the whole time, only showing brief views of its face,

No-one seen since.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you Glider! 

It's such a pity that the PTZ was zoomed in too late to get any look at our visitor, but thank you for trying Scylla.  All I can say the markings that I saw were very defined and very dark against white rather 'fluffy' markings.  The right 'mask' appeared to have an upward line on it above the eye, which may make it distinctive should it return!

It refused to turn round, and flew off at 09.27

No sign of either Asha or Klive, or any intruder throughout the afternoon.  In scanning I might have missed Klive with a fish on the dead tree or totem pole, but I feel he would have popped back to the nest before flying off.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/