LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

Klive had flown in to the dead tree with a live fish @ 05:35, ate, preened, departed @ 09:54:

I think that BRODIE was on the nest with Klive in the afternoon, am trying to put together video but it's going to take a long time cos I'm hot etc, I'll slot it in and see what you think.

EDIT

Well, that was wishful thinking, it must have been an unringed female.  Klive reinforced his ownership of the nest and surrounds after she'd gone.

IMAGICAT

16 July

No ospreys yet seen - but this little male GSW was sweet:

SYAL Hugging

IMAGICAT

Klive turned up in the afternoon with a very big bunch of straw, which he held while he preened on the perch - but then overbalanced and dropped it.  Yet another wasted effort from Klive, I wish I could remember what the last one was, it was quite recent, too!

Not long after, some little birdies turned up - Chaffies and at least one Great or Coal Tit, I haven't stopped to look closely at the flitting images:..

Great Tit, IMHO:

That was it up to 22:30.

IMAGICAT

17 July

Just for the record, rough bits showing that Klive was here this morning!

IMAGICAT

• 17 July 2024

03.57     Day cam kicked in, PTZ

05.21     A lovely light as the sun appears above the skyline

06.02     An osprey, probably Klive, landed on the old dead tree by the PTZ, and appeared to be eating a fish

06.30     The osprey took off and Klive arrived on the nest from our side of the nest PTZ       

He picked up twigs, and sticks

06.33     Up to the nest perch and he pays attention to his feathers

07:38     After a good preen, Klive looks around and takes flight.

07.40     He returns with a stick, and spends time checking around the area.  He must wonder where Asha is – last seen 6 July. 

07.42     Off again

07.49     Klive returned with another stick and placed it on the rim.  Checks around, picks up a stick and places it also on the rim.  A clump of lichen is moved to the rim, along with further twigs and sticks.

07.54     Standing and staring all around the nest area.

08.03     Just coming up to 08.04 Klive flew away.

09.59     Cam pans across the bog to the tree line and the mountains beyond.

It stays on a long view for a while, then pans checking old nest, dead tree, totam pole and back to the nest.

10.03     ENS

11.06     Another pan.

11.46     A close-up of the nest cam

11.49     Back to the view of the nest and local trees beyond

12.54     Still ENS.  High grey clouds and wind after some sunshine.  Oh and it's dry!

15.58     I may have skipped too quickly, but I can't find any sign of Klive this afternoon.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/