LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

Klive had flown in to the dead tree with a live fish @ 05:35, ate, preened, departed @ 09:54:

I think that BRODIE was on the nest with Klive in the afternoon, am trying to put together video but it's going to take a long time cos I'm hot etc, I'll slot it in and see what you think.

EDIT

Well, that was wishful thinking, it must have been an unringed female.  Klive reinforced his ownership of the nest and surrounds after she'd gone.

IMAGICAT

16 July

No ospreys yet seen - but this little male GSW was sweet:

SYAL Hugging

IMAGICAT

Klive turned up in the afternoon with a very big bunch of straw, which he held while he preened on the perch - but then overbalanced and dropped it.  Yet another wasted effort from Klive, I wish I could remember what the last one was, it was quite recent, too!

Not long after, some little birdies turned up - Chaffies and at least one Great or Coal Tit, I haven't stopped to look closely at the flitting images:..

Great Tit, IMHO:

That was it up to 22:30.

IMAGICAT