LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• June 18 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 12:03:24 (KL5)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

All that effort eating a fish, then having to support himself in a tree, made Klive tired:

On the splat tree, out of focus - don't look too closely, it's 2 pics in one so's to get both their heads showing:

Later, I think that both he and Asha were over in the old nest area, one of them on Odin's perch and the other almost out of the picture on the dead tree.  One flew to the nest perch, they both did separately and when it was Asha's turn Klive flew to the nest and she jumped down hoping he had fish but no of course - I chose this for Asha's head, something had distracted her (you can beg all you like, I'm not doing no more videos):

Klive flew at 21:24, Asha at 22:06.

IMAGICAT

• I say, does KL5 have orange eyes ?? Looks like it in the video !

• June 19 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 8:08:08 (Asha), 18:04:45 (KL5)

Mating: 4:11 F.  All with KL5

0 S, 1 F

19 June

Cirrus said:

I say, does KL5 have orange eyes ?? Looks like it in the video !

We'll have to check in different lights, CIRRUS - that session was rather orange, I tried to take it down a bit but it might have been my fault.

So far this morning - what looked like a successful mating on the nest cam (much to my chagrin) turned out a definite failure on the PTZ view so that's the one I've included.

Does anyone know the fastest fish at LG over the years?  Asha only took 22 minutes this morning!  I thought Klive might try to nab it from her, but if he did he wasn't successful.

I said in the vid that she was still there with her fish @ 14:14 - well she's still there now as I type, eating away - there has been lost of contemplating Wink

Delay caused by forgetting to enhance the sound, so had to delete the first upload.

IMAGICAT

• That is a big fish. Quick time as well. Loch Malachie is not that far away or maybe the fish farm at Rothie!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just lost my post and with it my mind.  How did it start?  Oh yes...

Asha was still eating her fish, with plenty left, when the cam left her to settle on the main view for the night.

When she was finished and flew from that tree, someone followed her out of picture but did not appear on the nest with her:

She pottered and then just stood, and then behaved as if she was wanting or expecting fish !!!  For example:

She's still there screechin' now !!!

IMAGICAT

Finishing off the evening with scandalous but not unexptected behaviour from Klive - when he turned up on the nest with a skin-dangly fish but refused to let Asha have it !!!

Later he returned and did a little netorisikng and stood for a while before flying off for the night - the fox had been patrolling from the upper left down thru the scene.

IMAGICAT

20 June

They both arrived, Klive first, just before 04:00, he tried to spring upon her for a mating but was skew-whiff:

She let him know she wanted a fish - she only stayed 10 minutes, then off to Odin's perch, and a few minutes later Klive flew to unknown destination.

Asha flew from Odin's perch to the nest perch for a minute, then off again.

07:22 Klive popped back, moved a stick, off again.

08:19-08:20 he was on Odin's perch.  This is totally au naturel, CIRRUS, but we didn't get a good view of his eyes because he was preening a lot and the cam wasn't zoomied in enough - and we have to allow for ambient light (if that's a real expression):

12:43 he flew in with some fish to defend vs unseen intruder:

He flew to the tree behind the nest on the PTZ and finished his fish, then left the scene in a roundabout way and was later seen perched on an unknown branch preening.

NB - These days, when I pronounce something "unseen", I should always add "by me" !!! !!! !!!

IMAGICAT

• June 20, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 12:43:19 (KL5). 15:27:46 (KL5)

Mating: 3:59 F, 4:04 F, 20:50 F, 20:53 F.  All with KL5

0 S, 4 F