LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Hi Scylla.  That looks to be the same female intruder as last night.  It's not Asha.  The underwing markings match the intruder's and the head markings right above the beak don't look like Asha's.  This one also has the same white marks around the upper beak like the intruder.  Asha's bib is also longer than this one.  I had to compare to lots of photos.  Hopefully, I got it right?!?

• June 16 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 11:42:36 (KL5)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

• June 16

11:42:36  KL5 flies to the old nest branch (see upper left corner.)  He has a fish. 

The PTZ cam picks him up at 11:42 and stays with him until 16:55 when it pans back to a view of the nest.

18:26 he lands on the nest perch.  No fish left.

He stayed on the perch for a long time.  Lots of preening.  Finally flew off at 21:23.

21:25 Hello Asha!!!  (It figures that KL5 flies off just before she lands.  I am convinced that as soon as he can see her he scrams.)  

21:26 she rearranges that clump of grasses.  The same that that KL5 brought in (multiple times) and that the unringed female tossed about.

21:33 she's off.

Then guess who arrives at 21:37.  If you said KL5, BINGO!  Yup, he waited until she left and then flew in.  

At 21:38 he flies off with, wait for it, are you ready.........his clump of grasses. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I love it.

The unringed female intruder's morning visit - she mainly just stood there, but she did pick up and drop a yucky something:

Klive spent so long on Odin's perch with his fish - along the way, the cam found a long-distance shot of a bird I can't recognise, it seemed to be a smallish raptor - I say smallish because of the speed of its fly-off.

At last Asha showed up - she spent ages preening on the perch, then more time than I've shown faffing with the clump, then complained vocally, then flew off - and not long afterwards Klive arrived and flew off with the clump!

No more activity on cam before midnight.

IMAGICAT

17 June

Asha (definitely!) flew in 04:30, waited an hour, flew off:

08:34 Klive flew in to Odin's perch with a brown trout (I don't usually venture on LG fishes but I think that's what it is) and got stuck on one large morsel:

No change as I type.

IMAGICAT

• Greedy beggar, if he shared a bit more with Asha,he would not have so much to choke on!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Catlady said:

Greedy beggar, if he shared a bit more with Asha,he would not have so much to choke on!!

Rofl

And it got worse!  Klive returned and taunted Asha with his empty talons Angry

Then the female intruder turned up, at least Klive defended but I'm still puzzled as to why Asha isn't more proactive vs a female - wouldn't that be the usual reaction ???

Towards the end we see a distant Osp fly to a tree with fish, I hope this was Asha.  Then at the very end, a little bird I can't ID, of course.

Looks like that was it for the day.

IMAGICAT

• You would think she would still fight for her nest, but she is just maybe fed up with the whole situation? The wee birdie my have been a a female chaffie?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

18 June

The day so far - Asha turned up on the totem @ 04:55, waited on the nest, first contact calling then she must have seen Klive with fish because her calls changed.

Did Klive give any of his fish to his supposed partner?  Did he heck Angry

Meal break time, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• June 17 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 8:15:37 (KL5), 15:37:02 (Cannot ID - on distant tree)

Mating: None

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F