LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• He attempted 3 matings on the totem pole: 20:51, 22:01 and 22:03.  The first one failed, the other two were unknown.

• May 26, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 4:21:44 (KL5), 11:27:30 (Asha)

Mating:  7:46 S, 8:09 S, 9:15 F, 10:11 F, 20:51 F, 22:01 U, 22:03 U.   All with KL5.  

The (S)uccess, (F)ailure, or (U)nknown  indication is purely my untrained observation.  

2 S, 3 F, 2 U

EJFan said:
    The female is now eating a whole fish next to Klive

I haven't included any of Klive's creepings-up, only his eying... this had such lovely colours:

Great Tit in the evening:

IMAGICAT

27 May

No-one seen until 05:44 when Asha flew in with a stick.  Compliments of the lens insect, we can't see it on the nest cam:

And it was very light and bright on the PTZ so this has been "enhanced" - or "over-processed", as RICHARD would say Heartpulse

She spent time on the perches and nest until Klive flew in @ 07:11 with a fish - which he ate all to himself before joining Asha on the nest:

They look quite comfortable together, with her giving him the occasional nag:

IMAGICAT

• 10.03                  Asha dropped from the perch, and silently mantled, low in the nest.  Intruder unseen.

10.04                  Danger over, Asha shakes her feathers free from rain

10.07                  Asha suddenly flew off to the mid-lower right.

10.12                  Asha returns, with a chirrup and a stick, and nestorises.  Radio Chaffinch sings loudly

10.16                  She flies to the nest perch  Willow Warbler id'd by Merlin.

10.34                  Still on the nest perch

Some lovely close ups from the PTZ csm

11.01                   Asha flew from nest perch.

11.41                   Klive landed on the nest, then up to nest perch

Edit

12.15                  Klive flies off.

12,17                  FISH     PTZ goes in search and finds an osprey on a dead tree in the distance.  With a fish.  That must be Asha

I doubt Klive could catch a fish and be back in two minutes!!     She shook her feathers, so fresh back with her catch

12.20                  Cam looked for Klive on his usual perches, but didn't find him.

16.09                  Asha is still eating  her fish

I haven't  searched for Klive. ENS

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• At 7:53:57, when KL5 flies off from the branch on the dead tree, he rakes the branches/foliage of another tree. The branches/foliage actually bend quite significantly when he hits it. He may have lost his fish at that point. I don't think he would have been able to eat the entire fish before he landed on the nest at 7:54

• May 27, 2024 - Day complete

Fish: 7:11:17 (KL5), 12:16:57 (Asha)

Mating:  8:29 F, 9:08 F.   All with KL5.  

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 2 F

28 May

Asha arrived - she was on the perches for quite some time...

Until Klive arrived for a successful mating:

I'm away again now.

IMAGICAT

• Intruder:

8:40  Asha alarm calls on nest. She pancakes.

8:41:26 can see O fly from left to right on main cam view. KL5 has remained on his tree with his fish. He is mantling (ptz).

8:41:55 intruder O flies above nest.

8:42:08 can see it in right corner of main cam view.

From 8:41 to 8:42 can see it flying overhead on the ptz cam view. Must fly off at that point because Asha relaxes.

9:49 Asha leaves

• FISH

8:23  KL5 flies to dead tree by tower. He has a huge fish. Asha squawking at him from the nest. He remains on the tree.

8:47 Closeup of KL5 on dead tree by tower with his fish (on ptz). Leaves at 11:36

11:36 KL5 flies to nest with a big portion still left of his fish. Asha not there. He leaves with the fish at 11:36.

11:37 Asha arrives - too late.

11:38 he flies by the nest, with Asha on it, to the dead tree by the tower. She was doing her fish dance and he flew past her with his fish!

15:00 he is still chomping down on his fish (on ptz).