LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• May 5, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  9:11:22 (KL5), 20:34:13 (Unringed Male)

Mating:  5:01 S, 5:10 F, 5:15 F, 5:30 S, 5:43 F, 19:57 S, 20:33 F.  All with KL5.  

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

3 S, 4 F

It's another WOW! from me, CAKEBOY - thank you so much for posting those beautiful sketches - I like his/her style, to put it mildly.

cakeboy said:
    i cant work out how to post a new message

Under the new system we have to go right back to page 1 and reply to the OP.  I don't think any of us bother with that any more, we just do what you did Blush

IMAGICAT

• Latest from LG - we're to get a full update tomorrow (although Canuck is doing a fantastic job)

• May 6, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  8:30:28 (Brodie), 15:33:54 (Brodie)

Mating:  

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

0 S, 0 F

Run up to and including this evening's FISH per BRODIE:

G'night folks!

IMAGICAT

• From Aviemore Ospreys - the fish pond in Aviemore, set up for photographers, posted yesterday morning, presumably after the first session.

Aviemore ospreys

A quick update from this morning, which at last turned out to be a cracker of a morning, unringed male dived 5 times towards the walk way hide before a female arrived and all of a sudden he wasnt interested in fishing, KL5 fished and got a fish first dive, the unringed male came back and on his 6th dive got a fish, took him 4 attempts to get out if the water with it, but he got it and away
    My notes for today.  No sign of KL5!!  

6 May 2024

07.25  Asha drops down from the nest cam.  She looks very wet.  She moves a large stick, which moves another and need attention.

07.27  A corvid can be heard, which catches her attention.

07.33  She calls and flies to the nest perch

07.42  Geese could be heard

08.28  Asha flew to the old nest, with a bit of a fly-about, and a chatter, and back to the old nest.

08.29  Asha returned to the nest, with a chirrup, and calling.

08.30.30 Fish #1  Brodie arrives with a  fish!!  Asha grabbed it, and Brodie intruder chipped at her.  She mantled over the fish, calling.  Brodie flapped at her twice, and went for her.  Possibly showing dominance.

08.31  She continued to mantle over the fish, while he watcher her over his shoulder.  She flew off, and Brodie intruder screamed, then flew off after her.  What was that about!

08.33  He returned with more intruder chips, looking behind him.  Did he see someone else in the sky as he arrived and got confused?  Who knows.

08.52  He pooed on the nest – it landed at the foot of the nest perch, then flew off.  He has forgotten nest etiquette!

09.11   Asha returned.  Chat thinks Brodie dive-bombed her.

Once, twice, three times.  Four times, five times, six times

09.52  Passing geese

09.52  Asha's welcoming cheeps as she lands, unseen on cam perch and calls for more fish..

09.52  Brodie is on the nest perch. Asha is heard calling.  She drops down from nest cam, asking for another fish, please.

Whatever the todo was earlier it's forgotten now.  She paces the nest calling.

09.59    Asha flies over to the old nest.

10.24  Brodie drops to the nest, and gives a brief intruder call, and then flies out beyond the cam perch to the thick bank of trees.  I can't see Asha on the old nest.

10.26  Brodie returns with a chirrup.

10.31  Up to the nest perch.

10.57  Brodie flies.

10.59  Asha arrives, followed by Brodie.  Asha was expecting fish, and none was forthcoming.

11.04  Brodie flies to the totem pole, and Asha continues to call.

11.16  Asha flew up to the cam perch, with a bounce.

11.42  Down to the nest, still calling

12.04  Asha flew, towards us.  She could be heard still calling.

12.28  And back again to the nest, still calling

12.48  Asha calls from the cam perch

12.55  Down to the nest, calling.  I guess I might find Brodie on the PTZ cam, but I haven't the time now.

15.00  Asha on nest perch

15.34  Fish #2  Brodie brought a brown trout.  Asha flew off with it, Brodie cleaned his beak.  Swift change over with no hassle.

15.35  Cam easily found Asha, back left on a flat topped, forked branch, eating the fish

I gave up at this point.

18.26 Asha left the nest.  Brodie was on the total pole

ENS

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Asha is on the nest cam perch.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• That's a fantastic recap Sheila.  Well done! Thank you.  The LG nest certainly is one for drama!

Empty nest all night up to now 03:26.

G'night all Smiley

IMAGICAT

• Tuesday 7th May 04:52 female on nest food soliciting