LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• Canuck said:

LG took a look at the 10:59 bird and it was not Brodie.  Different head markings. I will edit the post that I put up with the photo earlier today.

By the time I duplicate what you've already edited and repeated, I think everyone should have got the message Joy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now we can say that Brodie was last seen at 11:00 (rounding up) on 05 May.  lI didn't think the markings were right, wondered if it might have been the URM who's been in the area, but others say it was Brodie

I just checked to see if the cams were up or down and saw this:

IMAGICAT

• 20:34:05 KL5 leaves nest.
    20:34:13 Unringed O touches down at nest with a fish and then chased off.
    Definitely not Brodie's head markings:
    20:34:32 KL5 lands back on nest.
    20:34:47 Asha flaps KL5 off the nest.
    20:36:17 KL5 lands back on nest
    20:36:24 KL5 flies off the nest to chase an O flying by
    20:38:26 O buzzs the nest.
    20:38:41 (on PTZ) O zooms by below nest to the right
    22:00:10 Unringed O lands on the nest (see PTZ). Does feaking.
    22:02:30 Unringed O leaves the nest (with the fish??)  Hard to see.
  • Monday 6 May 04:25 osprey in silhouette on ravens perch.

• 4:47 regular female on nest food soliciting 

• 8:31 unringed male to nest with fish which female takes - unringed male alarm calls and 3rd osprey briefly seen in flight. 8:31 empty nest.

05 May

Klive has one mating accepted, the next rejected - then BRODIE is in 'n out with a FISH !!!

Then I caused a disaster when I switched off because the cams kept going down - and never switched back on, not all night nor even this morning, what the blazes was I (not) thinking?!

06 May

Recorded from YT rollback:

Pre daycam what looked like an unringed Osp joined Asha on the nest for a short while, then 05:26 BRODIE (definitely) landed for under 30 seconds, off again.

Back asap with more.

IMAGICAT

• Brodie is on the nest perch!!!  No sign of Asha or KLive.

Awww, bless!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

The 08:30 FISH !!!  Per BRODIE !!!

09:11 - Was this Brodie dive-bombing Asha?  (Continuing the mood he seemed to be in at fish-delivery time?)

The PTZ cam's been having a good tour around but I have to go now till this afternoon, SYAL.

BTW - All info and videos should say  "Errors and omissions excepted" Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

• Asha returned at 11.00 and is fish soliciting to what I think it Brodie.  Brodie looks thin to me.  Hmmm so what's happened to KLive?  I could ask, is this actually Brodie!!

11.03 he flew off towards the PTZ, which swings around over the old nest, the bare topped tree, the dead tree near the PTZ frame, and over the area behind the new nest.  No sign of another osprey.  Has Brodie gone fishing?

• Brodie returns and defends the nest, with Asha.  Intruder unseen at this point.

11.10  Brodie flies off