LOCH GARTEN - May 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

IMAGICAT

• 14:11 KL5 has been on the branch eating his fish for the past 5 hours!!!

14:20 Asha finally gets fed up and flies from the nest to the branch where KL5 is with his fish.  She inches closer to try a steal but he flies off with it.  She flies back to the nest

14:25 KL5 lands on the nest and quickly releases the remains of the fish to Asha who flies off with it.

While they were both on the nest during the handover, both looked to the sky and after Asha left KL5 alarmed called and flew off.

• Beautiful close ups of Asha on ptz cam starting 16:57

- Which perries, Wendy?

Canuck said:
    KL5 has been on the branch eating his fish for the past 5 hours!!!

It's been hell!

One thing that stood out today (apart from the double-mating) was Asha's reluctance to make a real effort for the fish - she didn't want to experience the same violence as yesterday!  Will Klive have at last learned the pleasure of giving from Asha's "thank you" squeals?  Not sure, as they were a bit muted, maybe by the possible presence of a third party in the area.

Now we can say that Brodie was last seen at 11:00 (rounding up) on 05 May.  lI didn't think the markings were right, wondered if it might have been the URM who's been in the area, but others say it was Brodie - maybe the damp weather distorted the feathers.  I meant to caption him as "lean and humgry looking", which he was, but I forgot.

Meal break, maybe a nap after that.

IMAGICAT

Ooh, thank you CANUCK - that'll require a portrait... later !!!

But as would say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

Canuck said:
    5 May at 10:59 Brodie touches down on the nest and then flies off as KL5 comes in.

Sorry, missed this entirely !!!

EDIT

Here's hoping SHEILA's internet and other tech and she are all OK Kissing heart

IMAGICAT

• **Which perries, Wendy?**

Derby Cathedral Peregrines Scylla, the main nest I follow on a daily basis and record footage of progress from whilst trying to keep up with many other favourites Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I do think that was Brodie at 10.59. Set it on slow playback. I wish things would settle now here, either Brodie steps up and KL5 takes off, or he shows more interest in Asha, and they bond, poor Brodie. Such tragic times on this and the Lowes nest. Stick in there all.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• LG took a look at the 10:59 bird and it was not Brodie.  Different head markings. I will edit the post that I put up with the photo earlier today.

Now we can say that Brodie was last seen at 11:00 (rounding up) on 05 May.  lI didn't think the markings were right, wondered if it might have been the URM who's been in the area, but others say it was Brodie

I just checked to see if the cams were up or down and saw this:

I have asked Valierie's permission to quote but she might not be back there for a while as the nest is empty, so I'm taking her for granted Blush

And it's taken me about 10 minutes to post this because the system's messing around, grrrr.

IMAGICAT