Procedure for Posting on Threads

This site is now a nightmare.  With no guidance from as yet from the RSPB we are in a right pickle.

So can we come together as the Loch Garten Forum and try to agree a common approach / procedure for posting:

Everyone, please put forward your views and between us we’ll try and whip up something.  

• To start us off, here’s my suggestions:

Accessing Thread:

1. On Main Forum Page, click on the Thread Title – not the latest the post (this will take you to the opening post)
    2. Click on Newest to have the most recent on top and you may see if you are duplicating an event

Posting:

1. If a new observation, then click on the OP’s reply to post to start a new post and enter the date and time – then do your post

OR

1. If someone has already posted about it, then click on the reply to their post to reply to that event and a chain will start relating to that event (if report too brief, it would be acceptable to start a new event with captures and videos)

Format:

1. Significant Events ie arrivals – the date, time and event should be in caps and bold to highlight it’s importance
    2. Images – Videos: Either leave as default or change the 1st box to 500 leave 2nd box blank

Summary:

1. The thread owner (or a volunteer, designated person) may wish to do an evening summary highlighting main events of the day - optional

Copyright:

8. Do not copy any information from any website without permission

9. Copyright should be placed under all images from webcams (Lowes like a link to their webcam too)

And I apologise if this seems forward but I am at my wits end with this website

• Goodness, that sounds unnecessarily complicated.  Why not go back to page numbers, which at least got you within striking distance of the latest post, and a strictly chronological order of posts appearing?  Or am I being too simplistic?  I don't have time to click through so many buttons just to get to the end of a thread and read what I haven't read before.  And of course as the season progresses there will be more and more posts which will take longer and longer ... at which time I will probably give up, after many years of following two or three nests.  I don't want to give up ... but at the moment it's soooo frustrating.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• All good sensible advice Karen but must be prepared for folk who haven't read this thread posting wherever ... my suggestion, if no improvements forthcoming from rspb, would be for a weekly thread to prevent it becoming too long & overcrowded with an opening link back to previous week?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That is a really good idea Wendy especially as the omission of the page numbers is bothering so many of us.   As you say, this would cut it down.  I for one would be willing to start a MB of weekly is that is what the forum would like - thank you.

• Page numbers ... just what we are waiting for Pat but rspb dragging their heels so, ITM, Karen is trying to provide a strategy for us all to be able to follow more easily.

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• See what others have to offer Karen or agree to weekly thread!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I know Pat O, we're all in the same boat and would dearly love to return to an orderly thread with page numbers.   Wendy has suggested a weekly thread hence more manageable  - an idea.

We've all been here a long time and I'm sure we'll come together and work out something.

• Yes, Wendy - plan to leave this for about a week to give everyone a chance to contribute and come together with a plan.

I think we all may feel better trying to do something to help each other.  And on that, once we have a plan, we can help/guide new comers.

Edit:  Also, some people may not want to and just do their own thing - and that is fine.  We have to respect everyone's wish/opinion.

• Good idea Karen, have been trying to help folk work around this awful upgrade but do realise that it's a lot easier for me as I have more time to fiddle & faff than a lot of others plus using a tablet makes it much quicker to flick around to find stuff, am much slower on laptop!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Agree weekly sounds good, but me wonders ,if photos and videos will be out of date/sync and become confusing again

doh! as we keep saying bring back ,chronological and pagination, that was so easy to follow, and post, with a  simple,quote, to anything in particular.