Procedure for Posting on Threads

This site is now a nightmare.  With no guidance from as yet from the RSPB we are in a right pickle.

So can we come together as the Loch Garten Forum and try to agree a common approach / procedure for posting:

Everyone, please put forward your views and between us we’ll try and whip up something.  

• The threads shouldn't have owners Just posters

• I know SK2 - we're all in a dizzy!   Its the disorganisation that's wrecking havoc.

But someone may just hit on a great idea - Fingers crossed

• Just the way it works Cirrus, whoever creates a thread is the owner in as much as they are the one who is able to edit the thread title, opening post.   

It is the same principle as typing a word document for your Boss.  It is actually their document/work as they will have dictated the content but the secretary who types and saves it is the owner.    

Without an owner (creator), there would be no thread.

• I have nothing useful to contribute.

I plan to post via the Reply on OPs almost exclusively.

If I wish to reply to an individual, I'll hit Reply on their post, select the req'd quoted material and copy it, then abandon that post and go back to Reply to the OP and paste in the quote and type my reply.  That way, the post will appear as the last post in the thread - until the next post.

That can be a bit problematic (difficult typing msg after the quote has been pasted into the box) but I'm persisting until it has to be abandoned and a rethink is obligatory.

==============

If everyone did the above, our posts would be in chronological order... but !!!  The biggest fly in the ointment is posts being hidden behind View Mores.  This has to be a cost-saving effort, but it should be the first element of the new system to be ditched.

And there was something else but I can't remember what it was Confounded

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla, lot of good logic in what you write.  

• Just trying the reply box under OP

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Fantastic Wendy and by all means - try out what people suggest here.   A great way for us liaise. 

Also under OP when clicking on newest you will see your post at top level.  Unsure if this was what you were trying to achieve on MB.

• Yes Karen, tried on MB but didn't seem to work properly also have noticed that it has to work very hard to post comment as the thread gets larger!  Another reason I suggested new thread each week!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wendy, yes I too have noticed it can get sluggish.

And in that case, thinking of Loch Garten if there is a lot of activity it may well be members wish/require a daily thread??

Karen said

"thinking of Loch Garten if there is a lot of activity it may well be members wish/require a daily thread??

(This is a problem with copy/pasting a quote from elsewhere - it was working, but a day or two ago it started saying that the quote was done wrong - you know, like it used to in the good old system when the square bracket was missing at the end of [/quote.).  So I've had to resort to a table.

I've been mulling over reviving the DU, too - that was probably the item I forgot in previous post Stuck out tongue winking eye

However...

That would require soeone to start the new DU very early each morning or last thing at night, and I'm not sure we have the stable membership to achieve that (without duplications or total omissions) like we did before.

We must credit ourselves with the happy fact that there are way more cams online than there used to be!

IMAGICAT