LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY 2023

Continued from June 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie had a record breaking fish day on the 15th June, when he brought ELEVEN of them to the nest for NC0 and the chicks to dine on - amazing!

As the two chicks grew, it was clearly obvious - with the difference in size - that #1 was a female and #2 a male, this being confirmed at their ringing on the 22nd June. 

NC0 began fishing for the first time this season on the 30th June, with TWO successful catches in one day. Hopefully, both she and Laddie will continue to bring plenty of fish for their growing youngsters to enjoy in a now, harmonious manner.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43) Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32) Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39) Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatched: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11) Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19) *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(f) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(m) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis*

Fledged:  9.7.23 - PF4(f) 57 days old (10:07)   13.7.23 - PF5(m) 58 days old (09:57)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March/April,  May,  June

July Blogs and Updates (published dates)

8.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 15 & 16

10.7.23 SWT video >>> Young Osprey Flies For The First Time

14.7.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Sibling Takes To The Skies

14.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Translocations: To move or not to move?

22.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 17 & 18

• Unknown said:
    About 0725, Laddie brings in a fish and really suffers badly from an attack be PF4

Sandra's blow-by-blow stills of the event.

Ever since PF5's short phase of assertiveness PF4 has been ultra-aggressive Frowning2

Just a straight recording of the delivery - I couldn't see where Laddie went:

Couldn't resist memorialising the corvid's little rest:

20:20 approx - this was right at the very end of a 6-hour session which reported an end time of 20:25, so I've allowed 5 minutes for processing - you won't miss it because the cam zoomed on the area.

EDIT - BIRDSONG reported on Chat that she'd seen 3 dive attempts, maybe I've got more when I do the next session.

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Hopefully she will start catching soon

I think PF4's determined enough, Richard. Just hope that if she is successful she brings a catch back to the nest!

PF4 was only on the nest perch for a couple of minutes after her dive before heading back over to the birch at 20:46. She gave her feathers a good shake, made a few calls and then flew off

©SWT/LotL

• scylla said:
    Richard G B said:
    About 0725, Laddie brings in a fish and really suffers badly from an attack be PF4

Sandra's blow-by-blow stills of the event.

Ever since PF5's short phase of assertiveness PF4 has been ultra-aggressive

Just a straight recording of the delivery - I couldn't see where Laddie went:

https://youtu.be/IlxkU0Z2ttU

Couldn't resist memorialising the corvid's little rest:

https://youtu.be/NEJr99wT_ec

20:20 approx - this was right at the very end of a 6-hour session which reported an end time of 20:25, so I've allowed 5 minutes for processing - you won't miss it because the cam zoomed on the area.

EDIT - BIRDSONG reported on Chat that she'd seen 3 dive attempts, maybe I've got more when I do the next session.

https://youtu.be/5d6w6mXbGgA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh, Scylla, thanks everso much for the videos and additional info re PF4's dives! Definitely another one at 20:44 - see here, not sure about in between

Edit: Scylla said: 'I couldn't see where Laddie went'  Laddie, I think it was him, could be seen flying down from the top of the screen (centre, behind the trees) and heading off to the right just before PF4 was about to land on the nest to claim the fish

• PF4 was back on the nest perch at 21:25

She stared in this direction

And, with making what sounded like intruder calls, she flew off

She didn't come back to the nest after this.

Presumably, this was PF4 on the birch just prior to night cam coming on at 22:23

©SWT/LotL

• Fish from Laddie @1030.
    No fuss or problems this time and Laddie flies straight off.

Richard B

• Morning Richard and All,

Thank you! Great to see that Laddie is looking ok after yesterday. PF4 actually went for the large, headless fish and not his talons this time, thank goodness!

She was very vocal and looked around before beginning to tuck in to her meal

©SWT/LotL

• At 11:50, I'm pretty sure I could hear a few distant chipping calls, in between PF4's shouting, as she became very flustered during her meal

11:56 A brief pause

She was flapping her wings and shouting again

12:00

No intruder seen at the nest

At present, 13:15, PF4 is continuing to eat - 2 hours and 45 minutes after the delivery

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra I take my hat off to you for all your stellar reporting of this nest along with Scylla - its been a hard watch this season, and have to say I have chickened out looking at it very much.   

Hopefully next year will be much calmer RelaxedFingers crossed

• Good to 'see' you, Mary. That's very kind of you to say, thank you. Hugging

Richard's reporting has been invaluable too, he has made my 'work' on this thread so much easier, and I'm so grateful for that! Thumbsup

• 15:45 5 hours and 15 minutes since the delivery

A reminder of the juveniles' ages - PF4 78 days old, PF5 75 days old

©SWT/LotL