LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY 2023

Continued from June 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie had a record breaking fish day on the 15th June, when he brought ELEVEN of them to the nest for NC0 and the chicks to dine on - amazing!

As the two chicks grew, it was clearly obvious - with the difference in size - that #1 was a female and #2 a male, this being confirmed at their ringing on the 22nd June. 

NC0 began fishing for the first time this season on the 30th June, with TWO successful catches in one day. Hopefully, both she and Laddie will continue to bring plenty of fish for their growing youngsters to enjoy in a now, harmonious manner.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43) Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32) Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39) Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatched: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11) Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19) *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(f) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(m) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis*

Fledged:  9.7.23 - PF4(f) 57 days old (10:07)   13.7.23 - PF5(m) 58 days old (09:57)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March/April,  May,  June

July Blogs and Updates (published dates)

8.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 15 & 16

10.7.23 SWT video >>> Young Osprey Flies For The First Time

14.7.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Sibling Takes To The Skies

14.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Translocations: To move or not to move?

22.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 17 & 18

• PF4 left the perch and flew off towards the birch, she went around the corner at 21:29 - fish calling heard when she was out of view. It then went quiet 

• 21:39 PF4 (highlighted orange) flew towards the nest, Laddie behind her 

PF4 coming in to land. Laddie had veered off to our right to make his approach to the nest

A tiny fish in his left talons

He appeared to be fully cropped

She attempted to take it but grabbed his talons instead 

Only one of Laddie's legs shown here

As he flew off, she almost went over the edge as she still had hold of him

Laddie flying off on the right. PF4 looked for the fish - the fish was lost?

She looked around then began to fish call

Apologies, I've had to edit my original post. I was watching the occurrence 'live' on my phone and it wasn't until I got back to my laptop when I realised it was PF4 heading towards the nest initially, and Laddie followed her. 

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks Sandra for all the updates but sadly they don't make pleasant reading.

Unbelievable what is happening. I just hope no-one gets hurt here.

• Evening Karen,

You're welcome. It's not nice to watch or report on what's happening here I know, pretty stressful at the moment, but I will persevere as per usual.

I really hope no one gets hurt either.
  • At 21:44, PF4 was on the perch calling for fish, looking over to the other side of the Loch - the direction Laddie had headed off to

She flew off in that general direction...

...but then veered off to the left to land on NC0's diving branch of the birch

She flapped her wings and called after landing

At 22:23, Laddie, I assume, flew over the Loch from the opposite side, and dipped his talons on his flight towards the inlet

PF4 left the birch, calling, and appeared to follow him (her reflection shows up better)

She must have turned while out of cam view as she headed back to the nest perch, still vocalising

She was still there at 22:33

PF4 then jumped onto the nest and called a few times

She looked towards the cam

After moving forward, she made head movements as if she was trying to focus on something

At 22:37, PF4 then flew up, directly towards the cam!

She went to the left

I think she flew off briefly, there were calls very close to the nest, and then movements heard suggested that she was on the limb. I hope she's ok

At present, 23:47, she hasn't been back onto the nest, only the night time sounds around the Loch can be heard

©SWT/LotL

• Unknown said:
    1410 and Laddie brings in a fish, before being flattened by PF4 and he looked lucky not to be injured.

I couldn't get the aftermath because the 6-hour session ended while PF4 was submissive and by the time it had processed and another session started, the interim had been missed.

But here's Laddie's trauma:

Here's the lost tiddler episode, with PF4's bedtime departure tagged on:

IMAGICAT

• About 0725, Laddie brings in a fish and really suffers badly from an attack be PF4. Plenty of pecking and both fall off the nest.
    They both flew away, with PF4 returning to claim fish.

Richard B

• I hope PF5 is being fed as well

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    About 0725, Laddie brings in a fish and really suffers badly from an attack be PF4. Plenty of pecking and both fall off the nest.

They both flew away, with PF4 returning to claim fish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Richard, Scylla and All,

I think the main problem for Laddie, when he delivers, is that PF4 is grabbing his leg/talons and not the fish - it's causing a whole host of problems for him!

PF4 grabbed Laddie's leg

She still had hold of Laddie, the fish was on the nest

He flapped his wings as she continued to tug

Laddie was trying to pull away

The fish flapped

She turned and pecked him

He slipped on the edge

Then righted himself

PF4 then pecked him

As he composed himself, PF4 then pecked the top of his head. He turned

Wow, so vicious - she did it again, Laddie's head went back

And she had another go. Laddie fell backwards

He was squealing!

Laddie managed to get upright but she then lunged at him

Both went over

PF4 here

Laddie flying away

PF4 flew off behind him. It appeared that Laddie was carrying a stick

She veered off to the right

The fish flapped

Back to claim her fish

Many thanks for the videos, Scylla! Thumbsup

©SWT/LotL

• Thats certainly what it looks like, as the fish was flapping about on the nest while PF4 was grabbing Laddie.

Richard B