Llyn Clywedog Ospreys June 2023 - March 2024

EDITED

I thought we should have a new thread to record the development of the two chicks who hatched successfully at Clywedog this year. UPDATE. One of the chicks was killed in an attempted goshawk predation on 18 July 2023.

The introduction to the nest and happenings between March and June 2023 on this Thread©

5F Seren, the female who has been here since 2020, returned from migration on 25 March 2023. The unringed Dylan, the male since 2016, returmed two days later. Eggs were laid on 13 April, 16 April and 19 April. The first egg hatched on 20 May, and the second egg 2 days after that. The third egg has not hatched and will not do so now.

A highlight was the visit on 12 May from 496, the only chick which fledged from this nest in 2021.

Carnyx Wild provide video streams; the current stream is available here. The link to the feed changes every 12 hours. There should be 2 cameras, but one has not been streamed so far this season due to condensation in the lens; it is hoped this may be changed when the chicks are ringed.

Other links to the Facebook page and John Williams blog are on the introduction to the first thread above.

Grateful thanks to those who are gifted enough to record images and videos from this lovely, mainly tranquil, scene.

UPDATE This thread will be used to record updates on this nest and the Llyn Clywedog area before the start of the 2024 season.

All images are © Carnyx Wild and NRW.

• It's tearing oneself away that's the problem!

Dear little soul has been trying to make himself heard between buffers:

IMAGICAT

• I nearly missed the fish because no reception screeching was heard!

Seren's still here Purple heart

BTW, I expect my timer is out because it soldiers on regardless of buffering.

IMAGICAT

• 26 August

8B2 took away the fish he left on the nest last evening @ 2030-ish:

I don't have anything from 08:00 to about 10:30.

IMAGICAT

• 26 August cont'd

scylla said:
    I don't have anything from 08:00 to about 10:30

I've checked rollback and nothing was missed - luckily!  Cos a few minutes later there was a fish delivery, right in the midst of terrible buffering:

As per caption in video, that has been the last time I've found any of the family up until this morning, as I didn't find anyone at all thru the 27th!

IMAGICAT

• 28 August

Only a Jay seen so far today - was there a Buzzard calling?

Nothing on the Clywedog FB page.

IMAGICAT

• No-one seen for the rest of the day to midnight.

29 August

No-one seen up to 06:00

IMAGICAT

• KA5 Roli stopped off in the afternoon.  I had an outage (say no more) so had to record it from rollback and it's a bit juddery, sorry.

And do not scoff at my end snap.

IMAGICAT

• A bad recording day today, lots missing.  Here's a short excerpt from the Jay/GSW visit - I've made it Unlisted, to save unsuspecting YouTubers from thinking there's something interesting here Stuck out tongue winking eye

From John Williams on Clywedog FB:

I am fairly confident now that our Ospreys have set off on the long journey south. Its been year of ups and downs, but I always see it as a positive that we had raised at least one of our chicks to Migration.
    Lots of good of good things have happened too this year so it has softened the blow of losing one of our chicks through natural predation. I can't go into too much detail on one of the things just yet but I will when the time is right (hopefully soon).
    But with KA6 nesting in the west Midlands and rearing a single chick also I'd very good news for us. Its actual confirmation that one of our birds is breeding elsewhere. I have a suspicion that she isn't the only one either. I think that KS8 maybe nesting in Wales and hopefully I will get confirmation in the coming weeks/months. There is also hope that an even older chick of ours may be in northern England, but still awaiting more info on this one.
    The live stream will stay on for a couple more weeks, we may get the odd visitor passing by.

IMAGICAT

• It's a wrench, but the above will be my last post for the Clywedog season... unless something "important" is flagged, in which case I will try to record from YT rollback (if I "wake up" in time!) for the sake of our record Slight smile

IMAGICAT

• As the Osps have left Clywedog, I have racked up the fish data for the season. Key charts below

We saw 514 fish over the season - compares with 550 last year when 3 chicks were raised to migration.

Main change in pattern is the huge preponderance of brown trout in June which was very hot. The fishing fraternity tell me that the rainbows do not do well in the heat, and will swim lower in the water. The browns, some of which at least are native rather than stocked by the fishery, are smaller and more accessible to Dylan.

For cross reference here are the charts from 2022