Llyn Clywedog Ospreys June 2023 - March 2024

EDITED

I thought we should have a new thread to record the development of the two chicks who hatched successfully at Clywedog this year. UPDATE. One of the chicks was killed in an attempted goshawk predation on 18 July 2023.

The introduction to the nest and happenings between March and June 2023 on this Thread©

5F Seren, the female who has been here since 2020, returned from migration on 25 March 2023. The unringed Dylan, the male since 2016, returmed two days later. Eggs were laid on 13 April, 16 April and 19 April. The first egg hatched on 20 May, and the second egg 2 days after that. The third egg has not hatched and will not do so now.

A highlight was the visit on 12 May from 496, the only chick which fledged from this nest in 2021.

Carnyx Wild provide video streams; the current stream is available here. The link to the feed changes every 12 hours. There should be 2 cameras, but one has not been streamed so far this season due to condensation in the lens; it is hoped this may be changed when the chicks are ringed.

Other links to the Facebook page and John Williams blog are on the introduction to the first thread above.

Grateful thanks to those who are gifted enough to record images and videos from this lovely, mainly tranquil, scene.

UPDATE This thread will be used to record updates on this nest and the Llyn Clywedog area before the start of the 2024 season.

All images are © Carnyx Wild and NRW.

• A super start to the month, thank you AG Blush

The IR was off again last night so I switched off the recorder... and have only just remembered to switch it back on again !!!  I modestly assume that I am one of the "gifted" posters you refer to - but oh, how lacking in the presence-of-mind dept Grin

This was the scene until Dylan flew a minute ago.

(EDIT - More than a minute, as you can see - I've had to reboot/resetup everything due to loss of network... again!)

Following the reboot, Dylan brought a fish @ 04:36:

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, you are indeed one of the folks to whom I referred.

17.45 good sized headless brown trout for tea for two chicks entering the dinosaur stage.
  • FISH !!! !!! !!!

A long, live, dark one, snap to follow (I think I'm still connected, wow!)

IMAGICAT

• Fish delivery and most of the chick-feed - they both got some.  As the fish was live I didn't want to show the start of the feed.

Couldn't get a very good view :(((

Is it just a slender brown trout?  I didn't think its mouth looked right.

IMAGICAT

• Yes you did get a good view of the fish Scylla !  If I'd known what species of fish it was I would have recognized  immediately  and it was lovely to see both chicks looking so well and growing up so rapidly

Definitely a happy nest 

• Scylla yes the consensus is brown trout.

I have racked up the fish caught in May at Clywedog below. The 123 fish compare to 76 bin May last year; in 2022 htaching was a little later as Dylan did not arrive back until 1st week of April.

There's a comment on Youtube chat that the fishery stocked another 1500 trout into the lake this week, making the year to date number 19,200.

• 14.40 Dylan arrived with a long stick which on landing was draped over 5 F Seren. She stood up and ejected said stick over the side of the nest!
  • Unknown said:
    14.40 Dylan arrived with a long stick which on landing was draped over 5 F Seren. She stood up and ejected said stick over the side of the nest!

I've no idea why this has black bars down the sides - it's what's done to make it fit 16:9 aspect ratio but it shouldn't need it.  However, I've always thought that the picture we see is stretched, but here it's not stretched, hence the black bars.  I knew you'd want me to let that all hang out Upside down

It fixed itself at the 20:00 switchover:

IMAGICAT

• 04:08 - Dylan brought a tiny morsel of fish, which Seren, when she could finally find it Stuck out tongue winking eye nibbled at herself, she wouldn't insult the kiddies with it.

Later it seemed to have grown, there was enough for a short feed for the chicks:

SYAL!

IMAGICAT

• You could never accuse an Osprey of not having a sense of humour ! (Stick antics)