LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2023

Continued from March/April 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NC0 surprised us all when she arrived back at Lowes first, with Laddie making his initial landing exactly 6 hours later. She laid her three beautiful eggs after almost near-perfect, precise intervals of 72 hours between each one. Both Laddie and NC0 have regularly exchanged incubation duties and have been very attentive to protect their eggs, and nest, from multiple intrusions during April. The hatching window will open around the 10th May, all being well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April

May Blogs and Updates (published dates)

6.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7

8.5.23 SWT video >>> Time for a Wing Stretch and Pre-Hatching Egg Close Up

11.5.23 LotL blog >>> Who’s Been On My Nest? A Closer Look at the Threats and Intrusions Faced by a Pair of Breeding Ospreys

12.5.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Chick Communicates with the Outside World

13.5.23 LotL blog >>>Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8

13.5.23 SWT video >>> First Osprey Chick of the Season Hatches

14.5.23 LotL blog >>> Concern over male osprey, LM12

15.5.23 SWT video >>> Fish Supper and First Feed for Osprey Chick

16.5.23 LotL blog >>> An update from the osprey nest

17.5.23 SWT video >>> Second osprey chick hatching 16 May 23

20.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at the Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

27.5.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 10

• More zooms of the chicks at 14:55

©SWT/LotL

• Glider said:

Sandra, that was very exciting, the intruder yesterday. I tried to zoom in with my magnifier and these were my best attempts.

-------------------------

Oh many thanks, Glider! SmileyThumbsup 

• (Close ups 14.55) Those two are zonked!! Smile So good to see them thriving.
  • It is, Glider!

More fish for NC0 and the chicks at 15:24, another headless one (brown trout)

Laddie flew off

NC0 blocked the feed! lol

15:55 There was a pause with feeding

16:11 Feeding again

16:15 NC0 eating

©SWT/LotL

• I'm so glad to see that NC0 brought in a fish. We called in to LotL coming south from our holiday cottage north of Achiltibuie so it was just a quick break from driving I spotted what I assumed was Laddie coming in behind the ridge just skimming the treeline before disappearing somewhere not far from the perch just above the water. I assumed he had landed to eat the head, but we had to leave before he took it to the nest. A shame, but we were expected at friends near Kinross.
    It was good to see an osprey in the feather, for the first time this year!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Lucky you Sheila, thanks for sharing!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• SheilaFE said:
    I'm so glad to see that NC0 brought in a fish. We called in to LotL coming south from our holiday cottage north of Achiltibuie so it was just a quick break from driving I spotted what I assumed was Laddie coming in behind the ridge just skimming the treeline before disappearing somewhere not far from the perch just above the water. I assumed he had landed to eat the head, but we had to leave before he took it to the nest. A shame, but we were expected at friends near Kinross.
    It was good to see an osprey in the feather, for the first time this year!

--------------------------------------------------

Gosh Sheila, what time was it that NC0 brought the fish in? I totally missed it!

You're so very lucky - well jealous here! lol

Edit: I'm wondering if your comment was in reference to the fish delivery, above your post? It was Laddie who brought that one in, I didn't mention his name within the opening sentence. Sorry for any confusion if so.

• 17:50 NC0 spread her wings while incubating, scanning the sky. She began to chip

She relaxed but was still quietly looking around

Laddie came to the nest at 17:53 with a small stick

Placing it at the back edge

NC0 was asking for fish

He stayed with his family until 18:09. Unusual to see Laddie fly directly downwards off the back of the nest

He went out of view after this pic

Then appeared here and continued to fly off to the left, out of cam view

©SWT/LotL

• A very small fish from Laddie at 19:47

After making a contact call, Laddie left the nest

Once again, NC0 blocked the viewing of the feed

NC0's movements suggested she swallowed the fish tail at 19:59

Then back to brood the chicks

©SWT/LotL

• A few minutes after she had settled, Laddie flew over the nest at 20:03

He turned and made his way back to land

He made soft contact calls (almost like he was chatting to NC0). NC0 was quiet

I love his look here!

Off he went after his short 1 minute visit

Laddie could be seen flying in the next gap in the trees after this one too

20:32 NC0 resting her eyes at present

©SWT/LotL