LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Rspb said yesterday on the goshawk chat they will be moving that cam to the bird feeder site.. to be announced on fb
  • To vids for today from my side..

The first (just before 1pm) is 1c2 searching for food and actually eating from some sticks. Poor kid must be hungry. (although... is his crop is not that empty looking (?))

The second one (14:40pm) is 1c2 spotting a bird in the sky and sprinting after it.

• IC2's early encounter with KL5:

This morning's little birdies FF FF FF !!!  (Just for the record.)

Bart molenaar said:
    To vids for today from my side.

Thank you, BART!  I'm only up to 11:30-ish and am clocking off for a while now.

I cam back into the room earlier and saw 1C2 on the nest looking as tho he was eating - yippee! said I - but was soon disabused of that misimpression Tired face

Of course one mustn't jump the gun - which means I'm going to, because I want/need to trigger a "how wrong can you be?" event:

Odin departed 21-25 August

The youngest an LG chick has migrated has been 79 days.

1C2 is (trusting SHEILA cos I'm sure to make a mistake) 66 days old today.

Thus spake Zarathustra, as she first did on 12 August:

Axel has been bringing sticks recently and that's something the males do when they are signalling the end of the season.

And if that doesn't bring in Axel-with-fish, I'm completely out of ammunition.

I just hope that LG HQ will be ready and willing with the MacFisheries supplies.

IMAGICAT

• Yes Sheila 1C2 hatched 11/06/22 making him 66 days old. 1C1 was 13/06/22

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I caught up until about 18.15, but didn't have time to post but my strong feeling is that our lad,1C2 is being fed off the nest, for whatever reason. He doesn't look to me as though he hasn't fed for ca 36 hrs. He took off when he spotted an osprey travelling left to right and would have met him over over on the skyline on the left. He didn't call as he took off at all, so he didn't think it was an intruder. Could he have known it was a sour e of food, Axel? Asher? With no feed back from the VC we are left in the dark, or perhaps they don't know either.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 18.16 1C2 landed on the nest, calling, but soon stopped. He gave intermittent calls
    19.31 he lands back at the nest, calling in vain.
    19.36 1C2 flew off

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    my strong feeling is that our lad,1C2 is being fed off the nest,

I respect that view but don't share it.  I seem to have developed a bad attitude, what with one thing and another Frowning2

SheilaFE said:
    With no feed back from the VC we are left in the dark

And we've had no-one reporting from the hide like we used to, occasionally.

Here was 1C2 in the early evening:

He waited quite a while and flew to the old nest area, where he stayed for a while before flying off for the night - as far as we could see:

IMAGICAT

• 17 August

I'm in the midst of doing a video of 1C2's nest visits this morning but have been defeated by heat and exhaustion - or heat exhaustion!

Here's a snap till we meeti again!

IMAGICAT

• So, Axel has migrated has he, rhetorical question.

When was Mistle last around please?

OMG has Mistle migrated too ?  OMG  OMG

• Too soon to tell.. 1c2 chased a friendly osprey yesterday, and it wasn’t kl5… so at least 1 parent is still around… hopefully we’ll see mum and/or dad today.
    Asha (mistle) was identified 14 august for the last time. Axel the 15th.
    Besides 1c2 looks like he has eaten (and not just sticks like yesterday)