LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Asha must have stayed on the perch all night:

(Originally posted last night's snap in error, this is the right one.)

Asha was on the nest just now, it looked as tho all 3 were expecting a fish... but it came to nothing, Asha has flown.

Currently the sun is making it difficult to distinguish details.

• Asha was on the nest when I firstt looked in but then flew Kids have been exercising and 1C2, I think, did a high helicopter
  • Testing the front fence now:

10:20 there was an intruder episode, the kids pancaked, no-one could be seen and I couldn't hear chipping.

10:36 Asha flew in with something very small afoot, she stayed, fish-called for a short while, then the trio embarked on a mega preening session, ongoing.

• Morning to who may be here, very surprised things are working well and fast here today! Shame I can't say the same for the Monday chores! August now, soon our chicks will be fledging and away, my, how the season flies (no pun intended) we can enjoy them for a few weeks yet, hopefully the lens will stay clear as well! SYAL
  • More helicopters from 1C1 - 1C2 is just watching.

• FISH !!! !!! !!!

Altho...it warrants only about half an exclamation mark :(((

I'm trying to get 5 minutes' peace to do a helicoptering vid.

• scylla said:
    .it warrants only about half an exclamation mark

At the end of this video (which includes helicoptering and a couple of sample sticks from Asha) you can clearly see that the fish, contrary to its appearance in the above snap, was whole!

• An afternoon of flapping, snoozing, possible intruder and lots of sticks.

15.11                      Fish has gone.

15.13                      Asha does some housework, tidying up the sticks near the front rim.

15.15                      Asha flies off.

15.16                      and returns with another slightly more bulky stick.  1C2 helps her break down the stick which she dropped on him.

15.24                      1C2 was standing on the fragile rim on the south side.  Be careful young man.  He spread  his wings

15.26                      He helicoptered out of sight!

15.45                      Asha flew, with a call.  The chicks watched her in unison

15.48                      She returned with yet another stick!

15.52                      Asha called.  And left

16.07                      1C1 standing and flapping rather too close to the edge of the nest.  1C2 did the same at the back of the nest.  1C1 had a poo and moved back to the middle of the nest.

16.25                      1C2 intruder called.  1C1 hit the deck.  1C2 looked around.  False alarm.  He is learning from mum!

16.33                      1C2 standing at the back of the nest, occasionally flapping and letting the wind get under his wings.  1C2 is lying down, snoozing occasionally.

16.36                      Asha returns with another stick.  Pauses to look around.  Has she seen something again?  Chicks are food soliciting.

17.01                      Asha continues to look around anxiously. 

17.02                      She calls – is it Axel she can see?

17.03                      She looks up and half mantles, then gets louder, peering skyward and above.  Nothing I can see, yet.

17.05                      Calls ae louder, chicks are flat.  Calls are intermittent rather than continuous.  Whoever it is has taken the hint.

17.13                      All back to normal.

17.48                      Asha began calling, chicks joined in.

17.52                      Asha took off towards the old nest and after a circular flight landed on top of the stick tree to the right of the tower.

17.55                      1C1 has fun jumping and squealing, getting the feeling of air under her feet.

Asha flew to the top of the dead tree.

18.05                      More jumps and travelling across the nest as 1C2 flapped.  And for the second time he was ou of sight as he lifted off.

18.06                      He took a stick with him!!  Crop dropping. A shake of the feathers, spread the wings again, lets the stick go and steps up to the rim.  Nooo!!

After a period of snoozing - Asha is on the dead tree - 1C2 is wingercising well!

• It would not let me post that
    It took 3 attempts