LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I didn't see where he went either, Scylla. He has been busy this morning.
    I wonder where Asha is. She was last seen yesterday morning for about 12 minutes, leaving at 10.30. Perhaps she is having a couple of days 'me' time as some females do before the start migration. It's down to Axel to bring in the fish for our bottomless tummied young osprey! Two small ones in just under 24 hours might be enough, but I think EJ and Odin would bring in more. RW have had three already today, and of course they are fairly large, and on tap.
    I guess the Spey might be a bit muddy after last night's rain. I don't think Axel has been seen at Aviemore or Rothiemurchus, but there are plenty of other sources he could use. Let's just hope!
    The cloud level is right down, with the hills in the background obscured by the cloud.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Oh dear I do feel sorry for 1C2. Still no sign of Asha, and no second fish.
    It looks very wet, but possibly not raining heavily.
    17.55 !C2 landed on the perch, calling. He became quiet, Still raining, but perhaps not heavily.
    18.09 Calling intermittently.
    18.07 He looks above. Shakes his feathers to get rid of the rain from his feathers. He takes off dropping over the back, out of sight.
    19.52 more rain
    19.56 1C2 landed on the perch, calling. He has a loose wing feather, notices it and a good flap dislodged it.
    19.58 He flew off over the back and out of sight.
    20.13 back again, to the perch
    20.18 he called again and flew to the dead tree

• SheilaFE said:
    I wonder where Asha is. She was last seen yesterday morning

I've only got that snap I did for checking her ankles, the deleted session isn't in Recycle Bin - am very upset not to have a "last sighting", if that's what it was :(((

LG has had a good soaking this evening, not surprising that Axel didn't turn up with supper for poor 1C2, who flew off into the trees:

IMAGICAT

• Confession - me having been in 'n out of "consciousness" for so long, I've got these clips that I don't think I did anything with, in reference to:

SheilaFE said:
    11.25 Both get up quickly and start to call.  Axel had returned with #1 FISH  1C2 claimed it immediately and had a brutal sharp vicious attack on 1C1.

... and the rest of 1C1's day.

I'm making the video Unlisted in case I've already uploaded it but I can't see it anywhere and have no evidence the clips were ever joined up and captioned.  Not included = Asha and 1C2 finishing eating and leaving the nest.

07 August

IMAGICAT

• 16 August

It's a wet morning - see the dead tree clear and blurred:

1C2 spent a couple of minutes here:

IMAGICAT

• I think he's still on the perchy thing that he flew to from the nest, but one's eyesight is very pantsy today

This is where I mean:

IMAGICAT

• Morning all has anyone heard if the bird feeder cam will be on in the closed season
    I am now starting to like this windows 11
  • My nest watching is over for today so i can play with my NEW TOY
    SYAL by for now
  • trevor l said:
    has anyone heard if the bird feeder cam will be on in the closed season

Not heard anything.  THOMO should be "on it" soon, he'll be rattling their cages at HQ.

trevor l said:
    I am now starting to like this windows 11

That's encouraging - my laptops are all set up to look like Windows7, I can't bear the look of 10.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going to post that 1C2 was still on the perchy thing as snapped, when he flew to the nest and has been screeching furiously at someone who flew onto the dead treetop.  They must surely be fishless ???

Maybe it's KL5?

EDIT

I have to be off now, SYAL HuggingHuggingHugging

EDIT2

KL5 it is/was, he was briefly on the nest:

IMAGICAT

• Good luck with Windows 11 Trevor.  I haven't dared venture down that path yet.  Thanks for pointing out that our lovely intruder KL5(20)m has been around again today, and sadly didn't get the same welcome as 1C1 gave him.  I wonder if he had, would KL5 have been tempted to bring in a fish for him....

I think the perch 1C2 was on it a lower branch on the old nest tree, the one I have possibly inappropriately been calling Odin's perch.

I too have to go.  Meeting up with an old school friend later.

I think 1C2 is 66 days old today - would anyone care to correct/confirm?

05.58  1C2 landed on the perch calling.  Last fish was nearly 24 hours ago.  (06.35  15 August 2022) #1 FISH  from Axel.   (Asha last seen Sunday 14 August 10.18 to 10.30)

05.59  He called in vain, and dropped to the nest, calling louder.

06.00  Still calling, he flew off, landing on Odin's perch

08.46.40  1C2 started to call, as an osprey appeared in the sky, flying towards the nest.  1C2 left Odin's perch, landed on the nest, mantling and calling furiously.  The intruder landed on top of the dead tree.

08.47  Axel's sticky branch was getting in 1C2's way as he mantled.

08.58  KL5(20)m flew to the nest.  As he tried to land 1C2 saw him off, and he flew to the perch looking down on a screaming 1C2.

09.00  KL5 casually turned round on the perch which sends 1C2 into even louder shouts!  KL5 just looks at him and begins to preen.

09.01  KL5 attempted to land on the near rim.  1C2 saw him off

09.02  KL5 landed on the dead tree.  1C2 continued to call and defend, this feathers all fluffed up.  He has been calling for over seven minutes!

09.12  1C2 is still calling, his feathers standing up and mantling.

09.48.58  KL5 left the dead tree.  He must have flown to our left.  1C2 called, watched and mantled.

Danger averted for now, and 1C2 returns to fish soliciting.

By 10.35 he is quiet, well sort of!

10.36 he flew off

BBL this pm.