Goshawk webcam at Loch Garten

From RSPB Loch Garten Facebook
Goshawks are making a sneaky appearance on our live feeds. We are still waiting to see if they will incubate but we believe they have eggs already. If you want to follow their nest you can do so here and we even have infrared on this camera so can watch into the evening!
  • 24 April

Changeovers - male and female sizes compared - and some vocals enhanced:

25 April

This morning the eggs were uncovered from 07:39 until 10:00.  That's not to say that anything's wrong, I'm just noting it for our info.

• Fergus C said:
    The camera is on a tree independent of that of the nest. This means there are two moving parts that will be affected by the winds higher up in the canopy. I recommend Dramamine.

Ha ha Fergus, maybe I will get a box for when I log on! Thanks for the information regarding the camera. 

• Just saw that, Jill

Talons out!

©RSPB/Wildlife Windows

• JillR said:
    Buzzard attack at 16.58!

Looks like I deleted the whole of the 25th after early morning without checking it - that was unmissable.  Maybe I deleted it with all the fragments I've been getting?  I can't think of any other excuse for not having it Grin 

I'm trying not to be devastated - thank goodness some of us were on the ball, great captures, SANDRA Astonished

Late last evening it was an Owl (Tawny?) that caused disturbance and perturbation!

• Just 2 eggs revealed when MrsGos stepped on edge of nestcup:

©WoodlandTrust

The goshawk's nest is built close to the trunk of a tree and reused for several years. Females stay in the nest while males hunt for food.

Young are raised between March and June. Between two and four eggs are laid per clutch.

Goshawk fledglings become independent after around three months. Before they leave the nest, they will engage in ‘branching’: spending time outside of the nest before they are strong enough to fly. They reach sexual maturity at two years old.

Some little looks thru the 27th:

• From AllAboutBirds -

Number of eggs: 3-4 (Woodland Trust said 2-4, maybe that's typical for UK whareas AAB is an American site)

Incubation: 35-38 days

Fledging time: 35-42 days

The male made a bit of a crash landing - otherwise, an uneventful day, according to me!

Just a couple of stretches and 2 little birds foraging - Blue Tit and ???

• JillR said:
    Blue tit and goldcrest

Thank you, Jill.  As you can guess, it was the Goldcrest I couldn't recognise.

29 April

Some adjustment of and an addition to the "shrubbery" protecting the right side - where the Buzzard entered?  (I am still swearing over missing the sight of that!)  The adjustments lasted 4 minutes!

• 11 May

Goshawk eggs take up to 38 days to hatch, apparently - no idea when these were laid, so that's not much help.

The eggs are usually hidden deep in the nestcup but yesterday got a glimpse - still only the tops of 2 are visible: