Technical test thread 2011-forever

I thought I might bump up this thread which goes back to 2011 (it's been bumped before) and was started by the wonderful Tiger

It contains all sorts of useful info on technical problems, handy hints for inserting photos and links and, latterly, the fact that we seem to get 'notifications' that we can't get rid of (I'm up to 6).

If nothing else, another trip down memory lane.

• I'll get on to HQ on the 5th to see what they make of it.
  • I’m logging out until Tuesday of this week at the earliest. The headquarters offices at the lodge won’t be open until Tuesday of this week. Bank Holiday Monday. The reserve itself at The Lodge will be open tomorrow of course with cafe and shop. I’m worried that this forum might have had a major hack. As has happened years ago. So will hopefully post again from Tuesday. I am worried about the security on this forum over the last 6 months and lots of unusual posts. See you on Tuesday! Hopefully!

Regards,

Ian.

• Just to say two of the links are mine. I tried to post two links to to chat, the tea room. Which where two live broadcasts of the launch of Space X 7 to the International Space Station and also the approach and docking of Space X 7 to the International Space Station. The two link worked on other websites where I posted those two links

Regards,

Ian.

• In case anyone is unaware, links seem to be back to normal.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Just remembered I was supposed to tell Annette but I see she knows now!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Please please, is anyone able to tell me how to get rid of all the 'notifications' like examples below which are now posted all down the  right hand side of any thread I open !!  It means I cannot access YouTube for the  videos anymore because they obscure the YouTube word to click on to get up to YouTube. Grrrrr......

I have no  idea what  I did to produce this effect  . Heavy sigh.

• @Alan, not sure you can even see this now, what on earth are RSPB doing to you...AND disaster for our Sheffield Peregrine Thread....What a nightmare.

• Unknown said:
    Please please, is anyone able to tell me how to get rid of all the 'notifications' like examples below which are now posted all down the  right hand side of any thread I open

I've no idea! Persevere

I have the same notifications ("Latest posts", which most are not!) down the right side of my pages too, but not spread out iike yours - and your screenshot seems to be independent of your post, it stays in the same place as I scroll the page up 'n down.

In desperaton, if you've tried clearing cache & cookies*, I'd try a different browser.

*To clear cache & cookies for this site only, click on the padlock at the start of the address bar/URL, and "Clear cookies and site data".

IMAGICAT

• Thank you so much Scylla . But all I could do when I clicked on the padlock was to BLOCK the cookies !  I couldn't  find ''Clear Cookies'' anywhere. Will this do the same thing ??

And I didn't get a notification of a reply to my post which is disturbing. I just kept checking Tech thread out of desperation 

• Most peculiar!! ... when I was reading Cirrus' post a vertical line of images appeared down the left side of my screen with a list of various sites at the right and they stayed on my screen as I struggled to read subsequent posts???

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr