LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Looking back on snaps/videos from 2021, the "challenge" I think we have is that the camera on the old nest wasn't so near and so sharp as this one on the new nest. So do we have a good snap or video of Mistle from last year? This year's unringed does have a nice lacey neck. We need a Mistle expert. Sheila? Scylla? MaryGK? Anyone else?? Oh, and P.S., anyone good at osprey screech recognition?

• I SO hope so... that is what we are all rooting for!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Its the crown of the head we need to see Korky - Field Identification of Individual Ospreys Using Head Marking Pattern The Journal of Wildlife Management
    Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan., 1994), pp. 175-178 (4 pages)

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Korky, I think earlier on in this thread there are a few snaps of Mistle for comparison. Voice comparisons would be excellent but I don't know that we have enough data!

• Unknown said:
    We need a Mistle expert. Sheila? Scylla? MaryGK? Anyone else??

MIKE!  It was he who pointed out her distinctive breast pattern last season and therefore named ner Mistle.  I don't recognise any Ospeys unless they're EJ Wink

IMAGICAT

• What the ***** was all that noise just now??!! Sounded like a group of people speaking, laughing, shouting. New lady very wary and looking all around?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• CRinger said:
    Its the crown of the head we need to see Korky

Sure. These any good?

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Well, with Mistle, it was pointed out the arc of dots on her crown, much like the second photo. Now if we can get the new bird to show her crown, we may have a match. She just flew.

• CC, the second photo is of the unringed female on the nest at 7.10pm today. Anyhow, she's just left and so must I. Like Axel, it's all proved too much for me today.....
  • Too late for a fish tonight. Exactly. I am not ashamed to say I will be setting my alar,m for 5.30 desperate to see who is on the nest. Gripping! Join me for a coffee from your favourite mug Scylla! Grinning