NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

IMAGICAT

• I do hope the spooked juvie arrived back at the nest safely  !

Thank you for the video Bart

• #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)

Not yet alas PensivePensive
    There is still hope, but it’s been 24 hours now.
    There is constantly a predator flying around, chat saying it is a Seahawk and they are notorious for stealing fish…
    It might have attacked the young osprey…

At least dad brought fresh fish an hour ago

• Hi everyone, regarding the missing juvenile at Alyth, I’m just off the phone to SSEN. They are going to contact the Alyth substation and get them to look into what’s happened to the Osprey.
  • I’ve been on the Garten you tube chat and was advised that it was not the chick who was dragged off the nest with mum who is missing but the youngest chick, who was weaker than the other two and didn’t manage to get fed as much. It just flew off and hasn’t been seen since. (It had much paler colouring than the other 2 chicks) Also, there are people there keeping an eye on the situation.  EDIT: Alyth nest

• I am getting a bit confused about mixed up threads here! It is helpful when the nest name is at the top of each post so we know what we are reading about! [I think this adds weight to the idea of having a separate thread for the Alyth nest next year.]

In the meantime, we have a missing chick at Alyth: is there also a missing chick at #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)?
  • Thanks for the update. Good to know there are people monitoring things!
  • Janni said:
    I am getting a bit confused about mixed up threads here! It is helpful when the nest name is at the top of each post so we know what we are reading about! [I think this adds weight to the idea of having a separate thread for the Alyth nest next year.]

In the meantime, we have a missing chick at Alyth: is there also a missing chick at #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)?

Hi Janni, sorry for confusion. I’ve edited in Alyth to my post. Yes, there 2 chicks missing at 2 different nests.

• #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)

I've edited my post too..

The male chick (unj, called Jouko) is still missing. They are sending a ringer to the site to see what has happened.
    Besides that.. things are returning to normal. Dad delivered fish: 2 for una (the female chick) and 1 for the mother..
    The danger isn't over yet and every bird is still on high alert..

I read one beautiful line in the chat, on one of the other nests where the fledging has started, (which is soo confusing sometimes being translated from finnish..) but..
    Someone said: "The home is empty"
    Another replied "No, Home has expanded"

I like that sentiment..

Even though I'm (literally) crying over the highly possible loss of Jouko)

Edit at 18.45.. They checked and didn't find anything.. so it's just waiting for another day and hoping for a return

• Bart molenaar said:
    There is constantly a predator flying around, chat saying it is a Seahawk and they are notorious for stealing fish

I thought that a Seahawk is just another name for an Osprey - and that silhouette didn't look like an Osprey to me Upside down

In my limited experience, 24 hours missing is not a death sentence, fingers crossed for the youngster.

GLIDER - Thanks so much for going where others (like moi) fear to tread in the quest for info.  Unfortunately none of us has followed this nest closely from the start, and the chicks are not ringed, so we're at a disadvantage trying to keep tabs on them at this late stage - prompted by a bit of drama!

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    Bart molenaar said:
    There is constantly a predator flying around, chat saying it is a Seahawk and they are notorious for stealing fish

I thought that a Seahawk is just another name for an Osprey - and that silhouette didn't look like an Osprey to me

In my limited experience, 24 hours missing is not a death sentence, fingers crossed for the youngster.

GLIDER - Thanks so much for going where others (like moi) fear to tread in the quest for info.  Unfortunately none of us has followed this nest closely from the start, and the chicks are not ringed, so we're at a disadvantage trying to keep tabs on them at this late stage - prompted by a bit of drama!

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Hi Scylla, yes you’re right, I only click onto the live stream at Alyth occasionally and it was your dramatic video and the fact that you mentioned about only seeing 2 chicks that got my attention. Hopefully next year we can watch this nest more closely.