Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH! 

Can you believe it will be September this coming week?!!! I hope everyone has a safe and serene week. 

I keep trying to get back here to catch up with everyone, but I'm not having much luck. When I arrived back from Indianapolis, I had a long To-Do List of critical tasks. I'm slowly working through it. I'll try to stop in on Monday and do some replies.

Lindy: Have a good time in Wales. 

The 17-year cicadas are long gone, but now our regular August annual cicadas are screaming at the top of their little lungs in the trees. One day when I was dog-sitting, I looked down in horror to see that the smallest dog had vomited up a HUGE pile of cicada parts onto the carpet! She'd been feasting on the bugs outdoors. Oh...it was disgusting!!! Would you think that this innocent little doggy could create such an unholy mess?!!!

• Good morning, all. I'd like to wish a very happy 12th anniversary to the Weekly Chat! I'd also like to wish the excellent Lindy a very happy birthday for yesterday - and I must say that the sound of apple and raspberry crumble has got my mouth watering.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks Clare
    and maybe this NEW HATCHLING bit of fun from here in the West Country will help in the celebrations.

www.youtube.com/watch

• Lindy - A very happy belated birthday to you. Out of your delicious-sounding menu I would back your OH's choices over yours - I can never resist either lamb or crumble, and to get both in one meal ...

SunnyKate - Thanks for the reminder of Weekly Chat's birthday as well. I've only been here about - er - five (?) years, so a bit of a newbie. But it does brighten my day.

A second day of fun and games with my five year old great-nephew yesterday. He has been described as an energy ball - and that's pretty accurate! How he keeps going so long - and so loudly - for so many hours is amazing. We went for a long walk and - a real treat - found a field being harvested, with no fewer than FOUR huge harvesting machines working. Wow!! That was a real hit with all of us. And there was a newly harvested field with the hay lying in long rows - jumping into it with a loud shriek was super fun especially when Daddy joined in!

Today I tackle the A303 again - what joy - and will be going home for a rest! I've had a lovely few days but my stamina isn't what it was.

Have a good day, everyone.
  • LINDY Happy Birthday for yesterday.
  • Clare -- Thanks for reminding us how long we've been chatting!! There must have been quite a few thousand words said, and a few pics posted. Not to mention, quite a bit of various rambling ditties from me!!

Many thanks for all the good wishes for my b'day. I took some cards with me but have just opened several more which arrived in our absence, so it's been a two day event :-)

We are back home after a quick skirmish round, cleaning, and throwing stuff into the car. A good journey and none of the horrible queues we saw yesterday, as those leaving after the Bank Holiday wended their way home in snaking formation.

Sue's son (my OH's nephew) has been told he will have to wait now until next week for his operation, as his whole shoulder has swollen too much around the site of the injury. He is on a lot of morphine for the pain. Don't think he'll be back at work as a hospitality manager & chef, for a while.

Pat, sounds as if you had a lot of countryside fun with your gt nephew!! Nothing quite like seeing huge machinery at work! Now have a few quiet days to recover!

• Lindy - Thank you for the thought ... but fat chance of any 'quiet' days!!!
  • Morning all:

PatO: I can imagine the thrill of coming across those four huge harvesters.  :-)

Lindybird:  Gosh, Sue's son goes out for a pleasant ride and ends up like that. Makes you think about how much we all assume our daily routines will end predictably.  

May Gray, June Gloom, etc., seems to be hanging on this year, with coastal overcast lasting until late mornings/early evenings.  Meanwhile, so much of the state is dealing with wildfires that California has shut down 17 of its national forests until September 17 - and maybe longer.  The state's resources are stretched too thin to cope with another one.  

Take care all.

• LINDA – some good pics – agree about the shape! Country Lanes look inviting. Sorry about Sue’s troubles – hope her son will mend soon. (saw update – sorry it is so bad). Hope your journey home is more straightforward this time. Birthday dinner made my mouth water!

PAT – EE is no help re decision making – that’s why this all took me so long! He also likes having something to be in charge of and a position of importance. After he finally decided, I did congratulate him and tell him he is important to me! Your weekly newssheet sounds very demanding – I think you should give it an end date. - - easy for me to say.

CLARE – thanks for pics from Rutland.

AQ – I also leave out peel because I don’t like it and add extra sultanas. I also reduce the currants and add extra raisins – juicier!

ANNETTE – is some of the gray and gloom a hangover from all the fires?
  • OG:  No, this is coastal fog.  We have had some smoke, but minimal.....   Agree (now that you've reminded me) that PatO's newsletter gig seems very demanding indeed.   Tell EE he's important to us too!

Clare: Forgot to thank you for the the link to The Hatchling. What an amazing endeavor.....

• Unknown said:
    Clare: Forgot to thank you for the the link to The Hatchling. What an amazing endeavor.....

Er ....... that was SunnyKate2.  I was the saddo remembering the Weekly Chat's 12th anniversary.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.