LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES MARCH 2021 TO END FEB 2022

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

LINK TO APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021 THREAD

May they all arrive back safely. 

• Anne as I understand it (I have stayed away from Brenig for the last few days) the "illegal" nest was mounted on the short pole where the project (NWWT/Welsh Water) had planned to out the nest they had constructed. It was decided that replacing the illegal nest with the project nest would be undesirable, as it would cause further disruption for the pair of ospreys. The pair therefore have 2 choices - the illegal nest mounted on a short pole and the nest by the island from which the buoy was removed on Saturday morning.
  • Thanks AG and Richard. If the birds choose the illegal nest platform, let's hope it remains intact and does not tip over or fall off completely into the lake!
  • Llyn Clywedog 04 May

The rainbow you reported being reported on Chat, AG Wink 

Just the brighter of the two ends, I got it from rollback and had to wait for it to strengthen:

I was late starting download, as so often Disappointed

Seren had been hoping for a fish lunch but Dylan brought a clump - it's lovely to see her looking dry, tho :-*

Not long after that - I couldn't see an intruder but they could - it didn't last long:

It got darker.  Dylan tried to persuade Seren to let him incubate but she would not be moved by a mere stick:

The weather then the FISH!

19:10 Dylan flying off with the substantial leftover Seren had brought back:

It was raining on Seren at the end of the evening add-on:

• Looks as though weather is going to be changeable again When I looked in a few minutes ago it was bright and birds were singing Now gone quiet and a bit dull looking
    Seren (1st time I have used her name) returns withl lovely chirps and a clump of bedding She hastaken over egg duty and Dylan has flown
  • Further update from Brenig Osprey Project today.

"Hello everyone,

Thanks for bearing with us whilst we prepared another update for you.  Here goes!

1. Our ospreys are still around – pair-bonded, fishing, showing territorial behaviour and generally indicating that they’d like to stay at Llyn Brenig.  They have been investigating the two nests, and the one at the original location in particular – see below!  This is good news – though it’s very much a case of waiting and seeing, and absolutely minimising any disturbance.

2. As per our last update, we had a clear plan re. nests which we won’t summarise again here, and which would have been enacted on Monday morning.  However, as many of you will have already read on Llyn Brenig’s own facebook page, a further unauthorised nest was erected by an unidentified party on the remnants of the original nest pole on Sunday night.  (Please don’t speculate further about this.)  Although, to an extent, this pre-empted what was planned for the following morning, it has caused no end of further complications which we needn’t go into here.  Once again, we respectfully ask everybody to refrain from taking matters into their own hands on site – it isn’t good for the birds, and isn’t good for those trying hard to do their work whilst under a lot of pressure.  We are also left with the now-‘spare’ osprey nest, built by Wildlife Trust staff on Sunday afternoon – but we’ll put that to good use Blush

3. Significantly enhanced on-site protection measures have now been implemented, with more to follow in the coming days and weeks.  We hope you’ll understand that we aren’t able to go into any further detail about what’s in place, and would ask that everyone avoids public speculation (for obvious reasons).  We are also conscious of the huge number of offers of time, expertise and/or equipment from individual supporters, and we are actively looking at how best to utilise this support – we will be in touch once a plan is in place, but our absolute priority in terms of security has been the immediate days ahead.

Finally, we have been absolutely overwhelmed with people’s offers of support of all kinds.  We are genuinely sorry that we aren’t currently able to respond to each one individually, but we will be once we’ve had a chance to catch our breath!  One of the most frequent requests has been to donate money, which we’re truly humbled by – in fact, the Wildlife Trust have already received over £10,000 in just four days, which the BOP team will be putting to good use in the days ahead.  Thank you so much!  For those wishing to make further BOP-related donations, it would help us if you could use this dedicated form:  Of course, we really appreciate your support however it’s given – and thank you for the kindness expressed alongside it.

All the best for now – another update to follow as and when we can,

Team #brenigospreyproject"

• Thanks AG All best wishes to the birds and the team

The Clewdog nest looks like it could do with a bit of a repair at the front but perhaps not that great big stick sticking up like a javelin

C NWWT Llyn Clewdog

• 05 May Clywedog

12:57 Dylan brought a fish for Seren:

He'd eaten the head and more, leaving the skin rolled back for Seren Hushed  But I read a long time ago that there's a lot of mineral goodness in the skin Smile 

• Good news for Llyn Brenig.

Response to an FoI request to Welsh Water from a member of the "Friends of LB" FB group.

"While your request falls outside the scope of EIR, we can confirm that we not been approached by Workerbee for any future production and are not currently in discussion with any other production company for any similar production at Llyn Brenig".