LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES MARCH 2021 TO END FEB 2022

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

LINK TO APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021 THREAD

May they all arrive back safely. 

• Brief Update on Llyn Brenog Osprey Project FB page

"Bore glawog - Rainy morning
    Despite some horrid weather, LM6 was tucking in to a fish this morning on the perch. Our male bird has also been seen nearby. So we've still got reason to be optimistic about the year ahead for them  . Nick, Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
    #brenigospreyproject #northwaleswildlifetrust #llynbrenig #DwrCymru
    Just a quick update for now - much more to follow when we can."
  • Llyn Clywedgg has dried up a bit recently - Dylan took a turn on the eggs to give 5F Seren a chance to go and dry off while it was still wet. The chat report of a rainbow at 7.32 this morning was a meteorological sighting, not a fish!.

• BBC Breakfast discussion today with North Wales Wildlife Trust CEO Frances Cattanach of the Llyn Brenig Osprey nest destruction

• From, and with permission, Friends of Llyn Brenig FB page - my emboldening and paragraphing

The new nest:
    As it was getting frustrating not knowing if the nest was the new nest by the Brenig or the illegal nest placed on Sunday night,
    I drove up the road and asked.
    The nest is the illegal nest erected on Sunday night. It is on the pole that helped support the proper nest, about 2 meters away.  This is the pole NWWT/Brenig were going to use for the nest they constructed.
    This nest will now be staying, as the birds must have no more disturbances.
    The nest is home made and is square, unfortunately it does not look that big to me, and I could see the water through the bottom of it on the Brenig monitor.  It needs more twigs, branches and lining, which the Ospreys could do if they become interested in it.
    So far the Ospreys have shown little interest in it, having only spent about ten minutes examining it.  They both look okay on their perch towering above this new nest. They may or may not use it. They have also shown little interest in the island nest with the buoy removed and fake egg in.
    There is still much hope: the birds as 3 year olds may now just spend the season together bonding, and try for chicks next year. Or they may still breed, I think Glensi at the Dyfi once laid eggs as late as 20th of May and some Scottish birds lay quite late as well.
    These pictures are from my mobile of the Brenig monitor showing the new nest and the male sitting in front of the female on their perch.
    And two photos he posted
    © Nick Ferguson 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you Sheila, I’m not sure I want them to take up residence on it if I’m honest. The very thought that they do and a chick gets shoved out fills me with dread.
  • What a mess! 2 lots ofinconsiderate, stupid people who need identifying and charging ......those who cut the original nest doen and those that put the square nest up The idea that the water can be seen through the base puts my heart in my mouth
  • At Llyn Clywedog Seren started food calling around 17.25, but it was not until 18.09 that Dylan brought the headless trout to the nest. Fortunately there was still a lot of fish left for her. Unless there was a fish between 9 last night and 7 this morning this was the first feed for around 31 hours.
  • Thanks, everyone, but I am afraid I am still confused. Does that mean that the NWWT (and colleagues) did NOT erect a new nest platform as they had announced they would, and that the Ospreys now have two, not three, platforms on the lake to choose from, the one from which the buoy was removed and this new illegal platform?! It boggles the mind. What is to prevent the culprit from using a chain saw on the illegal nest platform and/or the other one, or has a 24-hour watch suddenly been put into place?

Kind regards, Ann

• They seem to be implying that some sort of security will be used if and when a nest is chosen.
    They have a choice of 2 nests, or maybe building their own somewhere.

Richard B