Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• 19:00

Overnight:

Nghtjar was back 03:30, no-one seen at daycam but there was a cambump.

IMAGICAT

• 16 July

08:30 CJ7 popped on, popped off with a 5 little chirps 2 minutes later.

15:25 022 landed empty-taloned, did a tiny bit of nestorising:

2 minutes later, up to campost, where there were some tiny chirps and some scuffling feetz then it went quiet:

Later on... a 1-hour get-together but no fish for CJ7 and 022 gets himself in a pickle with the prickles:

30s

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Great news for the project (as reported on the Glaslyn thread) that 2018 female 014 has hatched a chick with Z2/Aeron from Dyfi on the Pont Croesor nest.

From the Glaslyn Facebook site

"The chick on the Friends of the Ospreys’ Pont Croesor nest was ringed yesterday 16th July at 32 days old.

Blue 494 is the only chick to hatch from a clutch of three to Blue 014 (Poole Harbour 2018) and her mate, Z2/Aeron (Dyfi 2017). He weighed 1236g with a wing length of 273mm.
    Congratulations and thank you to Friends of the Ospreys for inviting us to capture and share this experience. The beginning of a new era for Ospreys in the Glaslyn Valley."
  • Thanks for passing that on, KORKY  Slight smile

Meanwhile, I'm a day behind.

17 July

Just for the record - there were no interesting dances or trills or changeovers that night:

I hope you can hear this little bird - kinda thrushy-looking but I gave up,and the "song" had to be coaxed into audibility (?!) with editing:

CJ7 brought a stick:

So did 022, a thin one:

CJ7 brought small clump:

No fish seen.  What am I saying?!  I missed out a whole 6-hour clip.

2 fish:

Also 022 brought a stick in that session.

Nightjar coming & going 22:43-22:49:

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

I hope you can hear this little bird - kinda thrushy-looking but I gave up,and the "song" had to be coaxed into audibility (?!) with editing:

https://youtu.be/eDHVYtscEo0

Well I have a shot and I'm prepared to be shot down, so I'd say it's a young robin? Sounds like a robin alarm call and the chick looks a bit fluffy and flecked enough to be a chick but a bit bold and not glaikit enough for a chick..????

• 18 July

A brief glimpse shows that at least 3 Nightjars at the end of this - and I'm sure I heard the patter of tiny feet on the campost a couple of times:

That's it up to just before 07:00.

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Well I have a shot and I'm prepared to be shot down, so I'd say it's a young robin? Sounds like a robin alarm call and the chick looks a bit fluffy and flecked enough to be a chick but a bit bold and not glaikit enough for a chick..????

Well I thought it was a young something, and now that you've suggested Robin... I like it!  Thank you for having a go Kissing heart

I've had to edit my 17th post, due to huge omission.

IMAGICAT

• looks and sounds like a young Robin

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    looks and sounds like a young Robin

I was going to say to Korky "We'll have to wait for Richard for the expert verdict" but didn't want to take you for granted Relaxed

IMAGICAT

• I couldn't fail to disagree with you less scylla Joy