Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

• 09 June

First cambump noticed @ 0450.  05:25 CJ7 landed, pottered, spread her wings - and we haven't had a CJ-wing shot for some time, so here's one - she looked damp but I haven't altered my editor's settings from last night so...

She was up 'n down to the campost and flew off to our left @ 06:17:

The site is slow (for me) again this morning but not as hopeless as yesterday.

• Scylla, You may have seen by now that the netting which was on the Dyfi nest is thought to be a vegetable bag of the sort which held onions or carrots. I have never known how to dispose of those properly since they are very light weight and even if put in a bin and sent to landfill, if they were by chance deposited on the top of all of the rubbish at landfill, they could easily blow away onto surrounding fields, etc., and still be picked up by birds as bedding for their nests. Unless of course the local council burns rubbish rather than putting it in landfill, but then if the bag is plastic, not natural fabric, burning plastic pollutes the atmosphere. Perhaps plastic netting could be recycled and made into bricks which might slow the extraction of natural materials now used for bricks...or made into something else. Any ideas?
    Apologies to everyone for straying from the discussing the Poole nest!
  • Unknown said:
    Perhaps plastic netting could be recycled and made into bricks which might slow the extraction of natural materials now used for bricks...or made into something else. Any ideas?

I vaguely remember hearing/reading that there is bacteria which can consume plastic - but whether that's true or not, what is true is that we've woken up to the mess we've made (and are still making) far too late Tired face

• Gardenbirder. Do you use a liner in a pedal bin? If so you could put your bags in it and tie them up safely. Otherwise can you find some heavy rubbish and tie into the discarded bag? The bag will degrade in time (into nasty little bits) but by then it should be buried.
  • Richard brought to my attention some Peregrine activity on Barclays Bank in Poole ... found info here
    www.birdsofpooleharbour.co.uk/.../
    Posting the link as it contains news of Osprey activity too!
  • WendyBartter said:
    Posting the link as it contains news of Osprey activity too!

Thank you, Wendy - and from that report:

"Yesterday, we reported that an Osprey was observed moving up the Frome Valley, towards Holmebridge. Initially considered as “out of character” for our over-summering pair (CJ7 & 022), we speculated this could be a fresh in migrant heading north. However, with no sign of 022 in the harbour since 09:30AM yesterday, and coupled with the report of a Osprey fishing on Sherborne Castle Lake this morning, it would seem our male has set off an exploratory wander, very typical behaviour in 2-year-old birds and to be expected this time of year."

Maybe CJ7 has gone after him, as I haven't seen her since her brief nest visit +/- 07:10 this morning Thinking

• Thanks Scylla and Hilary for your thoughts about disposing of net bags. Most of our rubbish is in bags before putting in the wheelie bin to be collected. But there is still a lot of air inside those large bags as well as rubbish, I imagine they are crushed when they are loaded into the lorry, probably bursting the bags and leaving the contents unconfined when they are dumped into landfill. Presumably that is what makes landfill sites attractive to Gulls who benefit from bits of food which are probably thrown away by many folk who cannot be bothered to put their food waste into the small food bins to be made into compost.
    In order not to further clutter this thread with yet more rubbish talk, perhaps (unless there is a clamour for more rubbish talk here--lol!) we could have a separate thread for dealing with rubbish, particularly in this year when the UK government is supposedly keen to be seen as environment-friendly. But will they act as well as talking a good line or will they carry on approving of non-environment-friendly projects while still spinning a yarn?!.

• 022 came back last night, appeared on the nest with fish
  • 09 June evening - CJ7 was on 'n off the nest FIVE times, this was her final wait, ended @ 21:50, but there were 2-3 cambumps after that:

• 10 June - no-one yet seen, but I've got 10-15 minutes missing from 05:55 due to a Windows Update and Dell Upate that slowed everything down besides the rebooting time >:(