Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 July 2020

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Stay healthy, all.

--------------------------------

Here's a repeat of my post at the end of last week's thread:

Hi, folks. I'm late in posting this, but for all of you who are still around tonight (4 July): 

HAPPY FULL MOON and LUNAR ECLIPSE!

The moon turns full at:

5:44 a.m. tomorrow morning (5 July) in U.K.
12:44 a.m. tonight in Indiana
11:44 a.m. tonight (July 4) in Iowa
9:44 a.m. tonight (July 4) in California 
2:14 p.m. on July 5 in Adelaide, Australia

ALSO: a Penumbral Lunar Eclipse is visible (July 4-5) in the U.S. and also in the U.K. Go to this link to find the times that the eclipse begins, reaches maximum, and ends in your area. Just insert your city in the search box in the right column to see your own local times. SEE HERE

Everyone have a good evening!!!

• Hallo all:  Painters departed just before 5 pm  - hurray!  A sort of normal evening.  Tomorrow it's OH's office on their agenda, which means an early start to collect all his desk stuff and stash it somewhere.  

OG:  Lovely flowers there.  Our recorded programs are also threatening to take over available space; I plan to corral OH and follow your example.- most of them are his.  :-(  

Take care all

• OG & LINDA – Thank you for the cheerful flowers. Our day lily is orange – I hope it survives my divide and conquer earlier this year.

ANNETTE – Is enough painting done to see an improvement? Hm, it should be an interesting morning in your OH’s territory.

Oh me, Oh my, it is school holidays. Food shopping busier and more fraught. <sigh>

Virus worse in Victoria (Sicktoria in one headline). Whole of Melbourne metro back to Stage 3 restrictions for expected 6 weeks. Army called in to assist police to guard the borders. In our state the nightclubs opened last weekend, alas younguns did not behave. Hence larger venues are closed until they submit new plans for social distancing, crowd control, etc.

• Just a thought

Never lose sight of the bigger picture, Never lose sight of what you set out to achieve.

• Good Morning. A bit grey here but not actually raining! - We may go out.

Annette, sounds like they are making progress on the painting. I hate workmen in the house: I hate to hover, but feel I have to take an interest. Hope things go well today.

AQ - We have much the same here, the young ones seem to think they're immortal and it doesn't affect them. There've been many cases of large groups/parties/raves. Also angry drunks now the pubs are opening.

Our grandson Matthew spent the morning in A&E yesterday, after crashing into another youngster in the playground just after our son had dropped him off at school. He had a cut on his forehead which was glued together and he was checked out for concussion, but found to be OK. Boys!
  • Morning all:

AQ:  Yes, I went with a soft white (not clinical) and it's definitely brightening things up. The original paint is a light creamy color, so I didn't expect that much difference.  However, when I took pictures down you could see how the former paint had dulled compared to the paint behind the pix.   Yes, right.  An interesting day for OH; he'll be fretting....  :-(

Lindybird:  I was going to say "You should have seen the other guy!" but sounds like Matthew was the only one hurt.

I hear OH in the offing.....

• Quiet day on here, but I did have a Facebook chat with DIANE this morning - very early her time. She is expecting even more heat and humidity today!

We had morning sunshine and a breeze, now some light cloud but warm and expecting rain this evening, so we have made what will be our final sowing of salad this year. Sparrows have eaten most of the previous row of lettuce, but we are still enjoying earlier ones. Had fresh garden peas and carrots today - really tasty.

ANNETTE - I hope your OH is managing reasonably well to endure disruption to his routine! Sounds as if you are pleased with your new bright paint.

AQ - I'm sure the day lily will survive - they seem to be quite tough old things. Our Crocosmia is now blooming where we moved it. How long is this school holiday down under, and are there Nanny implications? "Sicktoria" does sound rather awful - our little cluster was easily tackled and we are same as the rest of Scotland again now.

LINDA - seems strange to read "We may go out" - so long since any of us could say that! I wonder where you went? Sorry to read about poor Matthew - although it probably made him a hero in school!

No plans for the rest of the day - I had been going to tackle some herbs for freezing, but decided I can't be bothered! Need to leave something to do another day!
  • Lindy: I'm so glad Matthew is okay. If it's any consolation, my brother was always getting hit in the head (playing baseball, etc.) when he was young, but he always fully recovered.

Annette: Could your OH wear headphones and listen to some interesting lecture or something while the painters work?

AQ: I'm sorry about Victoria. I hope you and your family will stay safe. Sending you protective energy! The U.S. broke a daily record yesterday: 60,000 new cases of Covid-19 in only one day. We're also surpassing 3 million cases since the virus arrived. Indiana has had almost 50,000 recorded cases, but the number is assumed to be much higher because we didn't have access to any testing for a long time.

My state has 722 cases per every 100,000 people, which is actually higher than California, where the state has 719 cases per 100,000 people.

In Indiana, though, 40 people per 100,000 die from the virus. In California, 17 people per 100,000 die. That's probably because California has a far better social safety net that provides more people with access to care. Also, California people are probably more fit and healthier. And, there's greater wealth in California. SOURCE

• Hi, OG! Our posts crossed. 

Poor OG caught me on a bad day. I was negative about everything. Worried about my own life. Worried about the virus spreading. Worried about the state of the country and its future. And, it's going to be 95 F or 35 C today. Right now the humidity is 73% and the dew point is 75 F,  so the "feels like" temp will be over 100 F. I no longer have a working air conditioner (although I have a large, powerful fan).

I'm a danged grouchy old woman today. Very sorry, OG.

• Heather: You were right to sack the gardener. If you need me to come over there and tell him off, I will!