LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY/AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to may/june-2020

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the season progresses, Laddie (LM12) continues to make occasional visits to the empty webcam nest, defending his area from passing intruders.  It is hoped that both he and NC0 have a successful nest in the vicinity of the Loch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

21st July  - NC0 made an appearance on the nest, her first visit since 19th April 

24th July  - NC0, confirmed ring identification during a second visit to the nest

10th August  - Laddie's last appearance on the webcam nest > Here and Video by Scylla

20th August  - One chick for Laddie (LM12) and NC0 > successful-first-season-for-loch-of-the-lowes-ospreys

6th September - Probable migration date for Laddie (LM12) and the juvenile was Saturday, 29th August >

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2020/09/up-and-running-again/

• 7:16 Good morning all, NC0 on the nest :)

Two other birds were close

This one (highlighted) flew from the dead tree

Another flew from behind the dead tree and across the Loch

It went behind the pine tree and there was a fleeting glimpse in the gaps to the right (not captured)

She wasn't threatened as one flew over the nest (not seen)

7:18 She flew off

• MaryGK said:
    it is one of those sad season's that will go down in history

The thought of "our" missing birds and the misfortune for so many UK nests brings tears to my eyes.  Thank goodness for Louis & Aila, Aran & MrsG, 5F-Seren&Dylan Purple heart to mention a few.

SANDRA, I relented, couldn't throw away Laddie's half-hour visit, just in case! so I've very rough-cut it down to 6 minutes and am making it Unlisted.

My internet went down just before 03:00 and I'm missing maybe 10 minutes.  Looking forward to finding NC0 asap Hugging

IMAGICAT

• Sandra AND all this is very encouraging, could it be NC0 with two chicks????   was she alarm calling, if not I think we have our answer (hopefully) Smiley

• In Scylla's absence (and will be one less thing for her to do)  I have done a video of NC0's ??? arrival on the nest.    The fact she didn't alarm call looks like they could be juveniles?  We can live in hope. 

• Last night's Tawnies - nortily edited so you can't be sure which owlet is which, in the name of shortening ;)

If you think it's too dark I can lighten it and upload it again.

Ospreys flying over the Loch, then Laddie (I saw a stick move and had to go back and find out whodunnit!), who looks as tho he's been a mucky pup, then NC0:

I put this snap in the video - has he got dirty marks on his side?

I've been threatened that I'll get no grocery delivery for another month if I don't send my shopping list pronto, so I'd better get started Open mouth

IMAGICAT

• This is the response to my request for an update.
    "
    Emma Castle-Smith
    9:57 AM (1 hour ago)
    to me, Perthshire

Hi Mike
    Nice to hear from you. We will post something when we are ready. We’re both very short handed at the moment and trying our best to work through a tough time.
    We will update our social media in due course.
    Kind regards
    Emma "

Make of that what you will!
  • Mike B said:
    Make of that what you will!

I'd say that I'm very glad you've got a thick skin {{{MIKE}}} - if that wuz me, I'd be crushed.  That's not to say that you ought to be crushed, but I would be.  In fact, I think I am!

IMAGICAT

• Thanks for the posts and videos Looks very encouraging that there are chicks I think those flights in the background could very well be juvies practising/enjoying their new flying skill

Thanks for contacting Lowes MIKE That is a very curt, bordering on rude, reply As SCYLLA says its good you take things in youf stride I am gutted for you
  • MaryGK said:

In Scylla's absence (and will be one less thing for her to do) I have done a video of NC0's ??? arrival on the nest.    The fact she didn't alarm call looks like they could be juveniles?  

----------------------------------------------------

Yes Mary, most definitely NC0. The back of her head markings appear to be like a Mateus Rose Wine bottle with a curve across the top Slight smile Thank you for your time in producing NC0's video

Edit - after re-watching your vid, at the very beginning before NC0 landed, an Opsrey flew out from the dark trees far left of the nest and went towards the dead tree (possibly landed there), that could have been the second one which flew across the Loch?

This morning

Scylla, many thanks for the Tawny vid as well as adding Laddie's visit to the NC0 one, that was a surprise!

Mike, I'm sure the reply from Lowes wasn't meant to be curt, I know from my place of work how much stress, time and effort is needed to re-open safely. Maybe staff are getting many enquiries about the Ospreys too? Really do appreciate, as always, you contacting Lowes on our behalf. Fingers crossed they'll produce a Blog/update as soon as they are able. 

©SWT/LotL